Warmongering is easier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmongering is easier...

I have always played builder... wars only when I needed some resource or when they make demands.

After reading a thread laying around here somewhere I decided to try the Scandies... (obviously, as a builder, this civ wouldn't be high on my list to play.)

And it's SOOOOO much easier when you just go and take the Wonders you want. The Mayans built the Pyramids in a city 12 spaces from my capital! Then the Persians (who, heheeheheheh, didn't have any iron) build the Mausoleum 6 spaces from where I moved my Palace to.

The Aztecs crossed the continent to attack me... no idea why, so I load up a bunch of galleys with berserks and now I own SoZ too! Perhaps the AI doesn't know how to defend vs amphi assaults?

Anyway, if I continue to play kill 'em all when they look at me, I'm going to have to move up from Monarch. Sigh...
    If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
    Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Interesting. I try to be a warmonger, but that never works with me...

Comment

Yeah, more fun, too.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Civ3 is definately heavily weighted toward warmonger playstyles.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I ususllay dont have time to build up enough troops to make invasions every other turn. I played like that though in the medevil sen for conquests since I was broke I could only get money by taking it so I burned and pillaged my way down to jursulem(Dont know how to spell it) and took it with 3 artifacts and only had one turn before the game ended.
          Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm an unrepentant warmonger and proud of it!
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It seems most of the city improvements contribute militarily more than anything else. I can't remember exact numbers but airports, harbors, of course barracks and many others make for a better army.

Thats why warmongering is always a good way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  Well, you are the Last Conformist -- that makes sense!
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by mkqest
                    It seems most of the city improvements contribute militarily more than anything else. I can't remember exact numbers but airports, harbors, of course barracks and many others make for a better army.

Thats why warmongering is always a good way to go.
                    I really believe that the lack of a more sophisticated AI and the software development decisions from the game maker is what causes many playstyles to gravitate to warmongering.

In the real world, negotiation can be more profitable than war, but certainly the subroutines of AI behavior can't handle it.

War is an ever-present theme throughout our history. It makes sense that the game reflects this.
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Warmongering is definitely the way to go when playing MP as well. It's not just the fact that the AI is unsophisticated. Actually, in some ways, warmongering against humans is actually EASIER than it is against the AI (especially at harder levels).
                      "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                      - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

...for a start you generally dont have have to pick your way through quite as many units
                        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Working...
                        X