Culture Flipping....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culture Flipping....

One of the things in this game that seems poorly built to me is culture flipping. It has no basis in history and creates a major hassle in the game causing many people to simply raze the cities as they go. I'm very happy with the ability to turn this off in C3C but I feel that they should have simply fixed this system, as it has some potential good ideas in it.

First of instead of having a newly conquered city simply decide to defect back to it's original civ without having to fight off the occupying garrison is rediculous. Instead you should get a 1 turn warning that the city is in severe resitance and that you need to reinforce the garrison to maintain control. Then if you dont reinfoce by the next turn it should create conscript troops flying the previously conquered civs colors to attack the city (and it should cancel any defensive bonuses based on the city for the defending occupiers. the combat should also destroy improvements and reduce the population). Although these troops would have virtually no chance against a powerful garrison (as in real life) they would force players to keep larger troop concentrations in conquered cities to keep the resistance down.

On the other hand cultural conversions of cities based solely on the fact that civ A has more culture than civ B should be booted out completely. Cultural dominance does not translate into direct control. Throughout history, physical control has nearly always changed via force of arms (revolution, war etc).

So instead of having simple "cultural conversions" of cities to your opponents which usually hurt the smaller empire and only reinforce the power of a large empire, there should be the possibility of revolutions/civil war. This should be based on the distance from the capital, # of unhappy citizens, garrison size, the number of foreign citizens, and government type (representative govs = less chance of revolution/civil war). These would help weaken larger empires and make the game a closer match.

Well even though they wont change it for civ3 i can always hope for it in civ4

Re: Culture Flipping....

Originally posted by Darkchampion
    First of instead of having a newly conquered city simply decide to defect back to it's original civ without having to fight off the occupying garrison is rediculous. Instead you should get a 1 turn warning that the city is in severe resitance and that you need to reinforce the garrison to maintain control.
    A simple message that would make gameplay more enjoyable...Why Firaxis did not use this idea is beyond me.

Originally posted by Darkchampion
    So instead of having simple "cultural conversions" of cities to your opponents which usually hurt the smaller empire and only reinforce the power of a large empire, there should be the possibility of revolutions/civil war...
    Or a system that would syphon off production and commerce from your low culture city and give it to the culturally higher-ranked civ. You retain control of the city, but because your city is a cesspool, your rival still benefits.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

havnet had any problems with culture flips since using c3c. i have it turne don but they obviously modded the formulae to make it happen less often... i havent lost one city to flipping at all. had lots in civ 3 and ptw
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Culture flipping is a poor idea that was poorly implemented. I'd rather see it go away. No historical basis that I can think of (sheesh, the US would own North and Central America by now).
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

why would any nation flip to join the USA.????

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
            why would any nation flip to join the USA.????
            Why not?

(I was hoping that I wasn't risking changing the subject of the thread by throwing that example out there. )
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

its jsut a game people, not a relal ife simulation

Comment

That doesn't make culture flipping any less stupid.

Why not add other stupid stuff? After all, its only a game.

Comment

there is lots of "stupid" stuff in game.... the whole borders with culture can be classed as stupid..

The random Combat Number generator can be caleld stupid.. lot sof things, it just there to make the game playable and make you think about what you doing, all the things in the game you can control to some extent...

Comment

there is lots of "stupid" stuff in game.... the whole borders with culture can be classed as stupid..
                    Now you got it.

The random Combat Number generator can be caleld stupid..
                    Have any alternative ideas?

Comment

How would you classify something like new states joining the USA as it has happened during the last 100 years or so? Sounds a bit like culture flipping to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Now you got it.

Have any alternative ideas?
                        No i like the game just the way it is ....

Comment

No i like the game just the way it is ....
                          Guess you won't be interested in Civ4 (or patches, updates, mods, using the editor, etc.) then. Change is good, better if you help make it happen.

Comment

i actually dont want too many change sfor civ4 except in the MP area, i want a better way of playing agaisnt humans,,,,

Comment

You know Rasputin strikes a certain irony in me.

APolyton has always given that 'greek shrine' feel off to me. Now I understand why. Apolyton IS a shrine, to the Firaxis gods. However, just as many a evangelist could only WISH they trully talked to their god, so to it is the same for us. Perhaps if we begin having Ritual sacrifices the Firaxis gods will smile more favorably on our humble shrine...
                              RawR

Comment

Working...
                              X