Problems with conquests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with conquests

Several times I had conquests freeze on me for no reason usually right after some event it diddent like and will keep freezing unless I prevent it or some such. Once the french were bombing a city off a carrier and after the last bomb nothing would happen Finally I just sank the stupid thing and never had a problem agin with that game but last game egypt declared war on me and the game froze..... no mater how i tried to prevent the mpp from being triggerd nothing would keep the game from freezing I spent so long on it too I dont want to let the game dictate my decisions and I would like to know why this is happening maby because of its a mod or somthing i allready tried reinstalling but it still happens... Please help meeeeeee
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Wow.. that's weird.. I remeber that when I first had CivIII Vanilla I had a freeze problem when I discovered Nationalism, but after installing the first patch never happen again.

But if this happen with Conquests, is very weird. How many RAMs do you have?
    Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; May 6, 2004, 23:04.
    >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Basic question: is it already patched?

Comment

Assuming you have the latest patch and everything went all right with the install, there are a few other situations where a game might look frozen, but in fact isn't. Basically, if you have a slow processor and/or little memory, it may take quite a while to compute some events on large and huge maps, like the destruction of a harbor in a coastal city: that harbor is connected to every other harbor on the map, and if (in your game) the french bombers took it out, the game needs to recalculate trade routes. Depending on the game settings and available computing power, this may take from a few seconds to more than a few minutes. Another situation when the game might appear frozen is when you play an elimination game and a very large empire was eliminated. Again, the game destroys that empire city by city and does some trade route recalculations.

For instance, I have a 900MHz processor and 256MB of RAM. When I play some of the huge Earth maps that come with the game, it may take up to 5 minutes to recalculate trade routes in the end game, when a harbor gets destroyed.
        The monkeys are listening.

Comment

5 minutes!?! Holy crap! Is this just in Conquests, or did the original Civ3 take that long too?

I've never noticed hangs for that long, and my machine is way more pathetic than yours.

Comment

When I first installed Civ3 Vanilla I had a P3 with 128MBRam... horrible! now I play the Conquests with a P4 768MBRam and it's perfect

Comment

Originally posted by woody
              5 minutes!?! Holy crap! Is this just in Conquests, or did the original Civ3 take that long too?

I've never noticed hangs for that long, and my machine is way more pathetic than yours.
              His machine probably has a serious bottleneck in the motherboard department which would cause the differance.

As for the original question, I would re-install Civ, patch it to the latest official patch and try the save game again.
              "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I havent patched it recently i have 1.02? somthing like that as for my Pc specs I have a 2.6ghz processor with 256Mb of ram maby ill try it agin and be more patitent with it im not sure how long I waited but when I tried ctrl-alt-dlt it said that conquests was not responding. and I was playing on a large map I might have deleted the game or saved over it but ill try agin.

Comment

The last patch is the 1.22, but as spy14 said, re install everything and try again. With those PC specs you should be fine.

Comment

Just remember with 256mb of RAM you could have a major lag on larger maps (in such instances as harbours being destroyed) - allow for a couple of minutes of lag before assuming the games crashed.

I have a 2.1ghz processor but a gig of RAM, which avoids this bottleneck. Also, is the processor definately 2.6ghz? Mine is an "AMD 2.6" which actually clocks in at 2.1....
                    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Arggg it happend agin I couldent find my original game but the new one I started it wont let me past 1987 Everytime I try to end my turn diffrent things happen but i can never make it to 1988!!!!!!! Ill download the new patch tommrow and reinstall everything and see if it works or mabey I could just torch the thing either way it will be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X