That Warmonger Gandhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Warmonger Gandhi

I’m a casual player, but have played Civ II, and AC and picked up Civ III the day it came out. I’ve played 33 games, I play on different maps (standard or higher) and with different rules (sometimes I remove victory conditions that I’ve recently won with) but I always set all of the opponents to random, uncheck culturally linked and set my own civ to random.

Last night the nation of India sneak attacked me for the 25th time. Added to the three times I attacked them in the early going to grab their land means that out of 33 games I have fought India 28 times. Numerically it's just an amazing figure, just having Gandhi pop up randomly in 28 out of 33 games is on the ridiculous side of things. In 33 games I have won via domination only once, so I’m not exactly a conqueror. Clearly the fault in this strained relationship is with this psycho Gandhi.

I have come to the conclusion that Gandhi cultivated this reputation as a man of peace in real world history solely to lull me into a false sense of security. Clearly the man was a fuming-homicidal-Napoleonic wannabe! As I prepare to airlift tanks onto this warmongers continent in order to teach him his 28th lesson I cant help but wonder; has anyone else had repeated problems with one of the AI's. Are there any other psychotic leader-heads out there I should be worried about?

Xiaodave

"I believe this Gandhi chap just swore at me."

"He is scum, we should destroy him, sir."
    Attached Files

You should go look at the Boot Camp I AARs over on MZO.

LINK
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Gandhi is really a pain in the ***, but the one I really hate is Xerxes. He knows he has good units, he knows how to use them and he knows we all tremble when we see his 30 Immortals coming to say "howdy, please give us your hard-worked, built-out-of-sacrifice-and-tears cities and we leave you with your underwear"

Comment

Even worse about Xerxes, the UU gives him the shot an AI player needs to turn -killer- AI... :/
        Whenever I lay sight on a killer AI, it's almost certainly Persian...!!!
        It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
        She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Xerxes is one of the worst, that UU is a pain, also i'll have problems with the Greeks on a regular basis, and the Arabs
          "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I remember playing the original Civilization and always ending up fighting a warmonger Gandhi in the mid/late game.
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

It has been reported that the game no longer does the civs all that randomly.

Never trust India.

Comment

Re: That Warmonger Gandhi

Great post xiaodave - very funny

Originally posted by xiaodave
                Clearly the fault in this strained relationship is with this psycho Gandhi.

I have come to the conclusion that Gandhi cultivated this reputation as a man of peace in real world history solely to lull me into a false sense of security. Clearly the man was a fuming-homicidal-Napoleonic wannabe!
                Yeh, but you gotta love 6-hit point Elite War Elephants!

As I prepare to airlift tanks onto this warmongers continent in order to teach him his 28th lesson.....
                Seems like you're becoming one yourself....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
                So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I see you conquered some of his cities. What did you expect? A hug from him?

Comment

It's not Gandhi. It's his evil twin, Genghis Khandhi.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                      I see you conquered some of his cities. What did you expect? A hug from him?
                      Those cities were, of course, taken only after Gandhi's unprovoked assault upon native Korean lands. Or to be more accurate, native Iroquois and Carthaginian lands that I had been forced to take administration of. In the past there had been a matter of a similar assault by the Iroquois and another miscommunication with Carthage due to its unwillingness to part with certain rivers and luxuries that we had designated as sovereign Korean territory.

History will show those earlier wars to be completely justified. I have myself consulted the Great Library and the many very objective Korean historians who work there agree with my assessment of the situation. They have also wholly endorsed the use of Korean tanks to bring order and occasional destruction to the Indian continent.

May all of the worlds many divergent monotheistic entities bless the Korean people in our search for peace through selective elimination of rival philosophical agendas.

Xiaodave

"It may have been easier to defeat these elephants if we had brought some of our infantry, sir."
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gandhi is a maniac in Civ III. I was playing a game a few weeks ago here I foolishly allowed Gandhi to help me eradicate the carthaginians. I didn't want all of Hannibal's cities as the were too far away from my center of influence. Mistake! Gandhi already had a sizable kingdom and we shared the same continent. By letting him get too strong he began bullying me later on in the game. I wanted a spaceship win. But Gandhi turned it into an all out war game, ruining the fun facor for me. Thats why I refuse to let him ever have a big empire again.
                        Don't get me started about Xerxes. The only time the persians are safe to be around is if they ain't on the same continent.
                        "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Comment

I've rarely had any problems with Gandhi. In fact, playing as Korea in one game, they helped me decimate the evil Zulus near the endgame.

However, I've declared Xerxes to be my arch-nemesis. He has Immortals and he isn't afraid to use them! Peace with Xerxes is of utmost importance before the middle ages. Of course, he doesn't always have access to iron, and when that's the case, I make sure I pay him a visit!
                          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by xiaodave

...due to its unwillingness to part with certain rivers and luxuries that we had designated as sovereign Korean territory.
                            again!

xiaodave, make sure you play the next AU game. Good storytelling is warmly appreciated
                            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Ghandi has never been a problem to me. In fact, I consider him an easy kill.
                              If he's on my island, I eliminate him sooner or later.
                              If he's on another island he's a reliable trade partner.

Comment

Working...
                              X