Ownership of cities and resistence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership of cities and resistence

It is so stupid that in Civ3 once you conquer a city the AI no longer cares about it. No matter how much investment or how much culture that city holds. In my recent game, I sent in a strike force and captured London from the British and then signed peace treaty. I then tried to sell the city back to them for 1 gold. And they refused! London the cultural capital of the world, housing two still working great wonders: Smith's Trading Company & Sistin's Chapel, and they don't want it back for 1 gold?? I know the design team removed this feature in a patch, but this is just stupid.
    I think a city's ownership should not change hands until the transfer has been agreed upon by both parties. For example. I have captured London, I can do what I want with the city, but I don't officially own it till I sign a peace treaty with the British, and on that treaty it says London will now be mine.
    That is to say, after a city is captured, the civ should still remember that city as being his, and wants it back. In the case of the player, if one of his cities is captured and he doesn't fight to get it back, his people should riot and cause civil disorder. How do you think the American public will reaction if FDR had let the Japanese just occupy Wake Island?? The more culture that city has, the higher the unhappyness.
    I don't think the current system of resistance is good. I have defeated the whole national army of Britain, and now what? A few unarmed citizens of London somehow rise up and seize city and killed off all my units?? That just hardly make any sense. I think a city that has hostile foreign population should randomly spawn some military unit within the radius of the city, they are more like the barbarian uprising, but of course, better armed. If this uprising captures the city, the city will revert back to its original owner.
    Resistance should not suddenly end just because you have conquered that civ entirely. China was conquered entirely by the Monguls and the Manchu, but resistant was always there. And it in fact, Chinese uprising eventually took back all the cities that was lost to the Monguls and Manchu. I would like to see dead civs coming back.
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Resistance is just a mechanism used, a designer is not going to spend an inordinate amount of energy of that aspect of the game.

The issues of the city capture is a tougher one. The AI will try to retake cities, but seems less determined in C3C. The problem comes in after they tried to prevent exploits of city capture and give backs.

I suspect the AI code is not able to track enough varibales to make a rational determination of when it should make a deal and when not to do it. We are left with an unsatisfactory implementation.

Comment

You captured London from the English!! Just had to vent that point

The system isnt perfect but I cant see how it can be improved with the current Civ code other than by telling the AI to throw wave after wave of attacks at Cities. Any more subtle option I think is a Civ4 idea.
      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Yes, the requirement to ratify occupation in peace treaties - like in Europa Universalis - makes a lot of sense and could be very interesting. It would make "swallowing up" neighbouring civilisations that little bit harder, which I think is a good thing.

Comment

I think that the AI civs DO in fact try to recapture their own cities. This is evidenced in watching replays... watch the AI-AI wars.

The problem, perhaps, for an AI civ faced by a human player is that they often never get the chance.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Yeah I concur it seems that way sometimes. There was a game I played where the Mayans took an English city early on, and the English tried for most of the game to recapture it, even though there were 'better' cities on the border.

Comment

Working...
            X