No announcement yet.

Endgame Moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midget*Toilet This is even with my 700+ unit army (Russia has a 1,250+ unit army).
    700/1250 units? What level are you playing and what size map?

Can you post a save? I'd love to see the logistics of your empire.
    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I think that the simplest way to do this is to change the stacked movement option. As it currently is the stacking system still makes you watch every unit move. i would really love to see them move as one animation. this would not fix the problem when there is a battle, but it would still speed up the the game considerably.

Comment

Oh, so they're just getting bored with moving units all over the place? Thought it had to do with turn speed.

Comment

Bingo...

When you have to resolve combat and movement for 10-15 units on a turn, it's bearable - even enjoyable.

When you have to resolve combat and movement for 70-100 units on a turn, that becomes a waste of time - and then having to repeat the same thing each turn after just makes it worse and worse. The pseudo-group movement command helps somewhat, but frankly, resolving a battle for 50 units one at a time ends up becoming pure tedium - especially since there are enough games out there that handle movement and resolve combat more efficiently (re: stacked/combined arms combat)

And that is the crux of it - there is no excuse for civ3 not to have evolved in this area of gameplay.

Having a fast computer makes little difference in this area of combat resolution. And telling someone to quit whining and get a faster computer might not be financially feasible for that person...
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Have to agree to some of the previous posters, I generally avoid entering the modern age cause of the tedium. Mostly this is done by adopting an aggresive playstyle that decides most of my games in the middle-age.

Some sort of intelligent stack-manipulating would have been nice. The public works and stack combat in ctp/ctp2 were a nice try but lacked something to become a winner.

I prefer workers to public-works of 'strategic' reasons. Workers that need protection and can be captured adds to the fun in a way those invisible public-workers cannot. Micromanaging all those workers soon gets boring though, I wish they would include stack-control over workers, or some other semi-automated way of easening the MM-burden.

The reason ctps stacking model didn't catch me was the 12-unit hard limit. I hated the hassle of moving armies past each other on crowded roads. Ok, so logistics has always been a major issue in any war or army in history so far, but we have enough of it already in civ. We don't need to intodruce traffic jams as well. That said, some ctp-ish stacking and controlling of units would have been fine. Just have a 'group' option where you moved N units like one(no army bonus). If you attacked(or bombarded) you would get a 'group attack' icon where each additional mouseclick would fire off another round of artillery or send forth another panzer.

Oh, I would also love to split each turn into 'theaters'. It's deadly annoying to select a unit, attack, then jump to a worker on the other side of the globe, then select another attack unit back where the action is..Sorting out ALL battles at the eastern front before dealing with the workers at home or your southern expeditionary force would have been sooo more convenient.
            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

If you don't like micromanaging oodles of units you can always play for a peaceful win. These days my conquest games are few and far between, for many of the reasons outlined here.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                Oh, I would also love to split each turn into 'theaters'. It's deadly annoying to select a unit, attack, then jump to a worker on the other side of the globe, then select another attack unit back where the action is..Sorting out ALL battles at the eastern front before dealing with the workers at home or your southern expeditionary force would have been sooo more convenient.
                this would be a welcome addition to the game. it really unnerves me when i'm in the midst of a big nasty battle and the game shuffles me to the other side of the world, with that worker waiting for me to give him some mundane order...
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Actually the turn ordering better now than it was, but you are right at times it can be a throw the mouse at the wall moment.

Comment

What bothers me is the worker commands. You can't hit a button that clears polution only. If you hit clear damage they run to volcanos. I once said ok they will clean it up and then it won't be a problem. Well the thing blew and I lost most of my workers. In the middle of a war the run to clean bombardment. It's very tedious individually moving workers in the modern age and a distraction while at war. This is biggest complaint with C3C I have. I miss the old clear pullition feature with PTW. I put about 10 on shift A and it makes it not so bad but still I loose some by their stupid movement.

Comment

To my mind one of the major design flaws with Civ 3 is that units don't scale up in cost and power with the eras properly. Hence you end up with too many units in the modern age, as well as other problems like the "tank vs spearman".

Maybe you could mod the later era combat units to be more expensive and also slightly more powerful. This might also simulate the modern era better, in which there is a trend towards smaller numbers of combat units with massive amounts of firepower and incredibly expenisve equipment.

The current way workers are implemented is a mess, imo.

Comment

One good thing about the current unit cost model is that it encourage players to upgrade and keep a modern army.
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
                          700/1250 units? What level are you playing and what size map?

Can you post a save? I'd love to see the logistics of your empire.
                          This is mindboggling to me. In AU 502 I tried to build up to some fairly massive modern engagements, and only got into the low hundreds of units (although I did experience a 300+ unit AI counter-attack on one city!).

I do not, btw, personally experience much late-game tedium, at least if there is some interesting challenge left in the world. Thus, my long-standing desire and effort to foster the development of KAIs.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Well I invaded many civs that had over 800 units and 1200 is not uncommon. I attacked one civ (Germany) in the ancient times when they had 8 cities and kill nearly 800 units. Ain't sid fun?

Comment

Sounds like EARLY game tedium...
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

800 units...

I would cry
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X