No announcement yet.

Endgame Moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree completely. One thing Firaxis didn't consider when making this game is how bogged down the game gets at the end. I don't finish many games because of that simple fact.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
      Why not raise the cost of support after a certain level. Once you get to 100 or some base level, unit support cost doubles or what ever it takes to get the numbers in line.

This allows the AI to keep it extra support when the game is developing, but offsets it for the late stages. It is not the human that will have a drag on the game with its troops.
      The problem with that idea is that unit suppport is tied to government type, not game time.

Comment

Nasty web server. Deleted post.
        Last edited by vmxa1; April 5, 2004, 16:25.

Comment

I fail to see how that matters. The distinction will be eliminated after x number of units. Or conversely you could just add an extra fee for all units above a certain level, regardless of government.

So you make a calc as normal and check to see if the trigger level was reached and recalc if it has. I mean there must be many ways to implement such a structure.

Comment

I have no patience for certain types of micromanagement. That said, I enjoy the number of units available in the late game (in both variety and raw number) and the ability it gives me to launch complex attacks on a large map.
            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              I agree completely. One thing Firaxis didn't consider when making this game is how bogged down the game gets at the end. I don't finish many games because of that simple fact.
              Me too
              Click here to download the Map of Arda, the world of JRR Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                I fail to see how that matters. The distinction will be eliminated after x number of units. Or conversely you could just add an extra fee for all units above a certain level, regardless of government.
                It matters because as the game is now, there's no way to increase unit costs outside of government type. The original post was looking for ways to reduce the number of units with the editor as is. Your idea would require a rewrite of the code.

Personally, I'd like to see the unit cost moved over to the the unit screen so they can be adjusted individually. After all, it costs a lot more to maintain a Tank or a Stealth Fighter than it does a Spearman, or even an Infantry. The game should reflect that IMO.

Comment

In terms of cost differential form say a tank to an infrantry unit, the representation can be said to handle that by ratio. That is, if a tank cost 100 times as much as an infantry unit, the icon can be said to represent 100 times as many infantrymen as the tank does tanks.

I for one do not want to get down to cost per unit types. Leave that for accounting civ.

Comment

If you want to speed up the end-game "grind", get a faster PC like I did.

There's no such thing as the grind when you have an A64 and the enemy battle animations turned off. This is even with my 700+ unit army (Russia has a 1,250+ unit army).

Comment

Midget*Toilet?

Comment

With a name like that, you better don't be bored.

700+ units? The most I've ever had was ~550, and that was during a gargantuan war on a 140x140 map w/ extra land. Went pretty slow despite carrying out stack attacks with ~100 units a time. Then my comp is a mere 2GHz Celeron.

Firing 120 artillery pieces after one another sucks. Why is there no Stack Bombard?
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I find myself staying in peace a lot near the endgame, just so I dont have to mess with moving my 2837681235 units around all the time. I leave everything fortified in cities unless I absolutely HAVE to go to war.

Comment

'I find myself staying in peace a lot near the endgame, just so I dont have to mess with moving my 2837681235 units around all the time. I leave everything fortified in cities unless I absolutely HAVE to go to war.'

which is just a response to the tedium of the grind rather than any strategic decision on your part

also if you are aiming for a conquest or domination victory having the panzers parked in cities isn't an option

the best method of reducing endgame grind, IMHO, would be to adopt a stack battle system (maybe using something similar to the battle res of spartan)

other methods would be:

1. crank up war weriness for units lost
                            2. impose a stacking limit
                            3. increase unit cost / maintenence
                            4. limit number of moves per turn (1 stack is one move)
                            5. building unit costs population

Comment

Originally posted by Midget*Toilet
                              If you want to speed up the end-game "grind", get a faster PC like I did.

There's no such thing as the grind when you have an A64 and the enemy battle animations turned off. This is even with my 700+ unit army (Russia has a 1,250+ unit army).

I don't think the grind they are talking about is addressed by a faster PC. Anyway I already have a 3GH + system. Moving units rquires the same amount of manual clicking regardless of processor. The units move faster to the next point, but that rarely is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Firing 120 artillery pieces after one another sucks. Why is there no Stack Bombard?
                                There is auto bombard, though it doesn't work unless you have Artillery or turn off Cancel Unit Orders in preferences.

I sure wish they'd fix that. Better yet, give us true stack bombard.

Comment

Working...
                                X