excuse the new guy part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excuse the new guy part 2

okay, jumping back into civ3 after a year or more off. Bought and installed Conquests. Inspite of what the civ3 manual says, I can not upgrade my warriors into swordsmen. "U" does not work, tried right clicking everything in the world. Could someone inform me of the method to upgrade? Thanks.

In order to ungrade warriors to swordsmen, or even build swordsmen for that matter, you need to have Iron connected to your cities.

Comment

Further on that, the warriors need to be in a city with a barracks. Otherwise all the iron in the world won't help you upgrade.

Comment

but of course....

I figured it out AFTER I posted! I knew the iron and barricks requirements, but the problems was that I did not have enough GOLD. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Re: but of course....

Originally posted by gunboat63
          I figured it out AFTER I posted! I knew the iron and barricks requirements, but the problems was that I did not have enough GOLD. Thanks for the help.

You gotta love that checklist!

Iron: Check!
          Barracks: Check!

No Upgrade? WTF!!!!!!

Oh yeah,

Gold: %$*#@, I'm broke!!!
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Yeah the gold part caught me a few times after C3C made it more expensive. I am scratching my head and then see Ihave no cash.

One more thing needs to be added to the list and that is movement points. If you move a unit into the city and have none left, you can't upgrade either. Well some versions and patches let you use the mass upgrade ploy.

Comment

Vmxa:

I believe that the mass upgrade has been available since V1.21. You can't upgrade individually with 0 MP, but Shift-U will upgrade all that can be, providing you have the gold. Also with mass upgrades if you dont have the cash for all of the upgrades you recieve a message from your advisor stating that this is the case.

gunboat:

Most of us have made this mistake at one time or another, so don't take my last post as an insult.

Comment

no offense taken at all. I understood it was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                  Vmxa:

I believe that the mass upgrade has been available since V1.21. You can't upgrade individually with 0 MP, but Shift-U will upgrade all that can be, providing you have the gold. Also with mass upgrades if you dont have the cash for all of the upgrades you recieve a message from your advisor stating that this is the case.

You sure? I thought that was patched out a few times and hence does not work for all version and all patches? I have not paid that much attention to it as I seldom have barracks in that many cities.

Comment

I don't think it works anymore, as of C3C 1.15 (and maybe pre-patch). I went to upgrade my cruisers to AEGIS, with plenty of gold on hand, in my last game (patched in the middle and can't recall if the upgrade was pre or post right now). All those with movement left upgraded, but those that had gone into the haqrbor with their last point didn't.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                      I don't think it works anymore, as of C3C 1.15 (and maybe pre-patch). I went to upgrade my cruisers to AEGIS, with plenty of gold on hand, in my last game (patched in the middle and can't recall if the upgrade was pre or post right now). All those with movement left upgraded, but those that had gone into the haqrbor with their last point didn't.
                      I haven't noticed this, I haven't been playing with 1.15 very long, but it has worked for me in all variant from 1.21 to C3C. (1.15 is my first patch for C3C). I'll check this out in the next day or two.

I have had numerous other problems with upgrading with the 1.15 patch already, but most are due to my mod (takes a while to work out the kinks) the most recent being that my Fighters won't upgrade to F-15's or Jet Fighters. (probably screwed up the upgrade path)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

You sure? I thought that was patched out a few times and hence does not work for all version and all patches? I have not paid that much attention to it as I seldom have barracks in that many cities.
                        No, but it will be removed with patch 1.20. Finally!

PS Oh I guess it's already been added to 1.15. I haven't tried that patch yet so I'm not sure what's different in 1.20.

Comment

From the readme under 1.10 beta:

"Fixed upgrade all bug (for units that do not have the upgrade ability but are part of the upgrade chain)."

This may have addressed it.

Comment

Re: but of course....

Originally posted by gunboat63

Happens to me all the time I usually upgrade my units from the military advisor tab and I can't see my gold from there
                            "When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man in the world. He sure learned a lot by the time I was 24."

-Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X