No announcement yet.

Opening strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is nearly all cpu bound. So a fast processor will really help.

If you want to post a save I will run a turn and see how long it takes.

Comment

A fast CPU will help, but it appears multiple CPU wont do any good (if you just run OS and CivIII). I am hoping CivIII could support multiple CPUs
      Game is just for Fun. Dont play the game if its not fun for you - binyo66 :)

Comment

One of the mods that came with PTW had a huge map I dont rember the deminsons but it was bigger then a Huge map. plus it had about 32 civs. Back then I had a 500mhz with 128 MB of ram it took 20 minuets to end my turn even in ancient times. it was a great sen too would have played it but 30 in ancient times imagine modern times it would take days. lol P.S now I have 2.6GHZ with 264 MB of ram still not good enough though never is.
        Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

264 is too low for that system. 512 would help. You should be able to handle that map for the first half of the game. It will then tend to get to be slow on turns with war or cities being founded or razed. You could look on pricegrabber am find 256mb pretty cheap, unless you go for expensive DDR.

Comment

264MB ram?? oh well, I'm sure you really means 256MB...

A map that size needs lots of RAM....I'm getting a new comp in a months time with 1GB of RAM I'll try out maps of that size then
            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

DDR helps to boost the speed even more, because the bandwidth is doubled, so theoretically (sp?) the memory is doubled. It helps to stop the memory becoming the bootleneck of the system.
              If I've understood that wrong, would someone point it out to me.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Hmm, it's not really double memory though.
                Dang, I understand how it works, however to explain it might be a little too much.

Traditional RAM performed one task(reading or writing) each clockpulse while DDR does 2 (theoretical), hence the name Double Data Ram.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

DDR RAM is faster sure, but not twice as fast. You're talking a much lower performance increase. (Edit: Alva beat me. )

These days 512MB of PC2700 or better is a must. I have 1GB PC3200 and I don't regret it ever. If anyone is upgrading RAM make sure to get a sort compatible with your board.

Comment

Thank you. I understand it better now.
                    And thats why I wrote theoretically.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

RAM is the important factor in a game like Civ, along with the Processor. I have 1gb DDR Ram with a 2.1 ghz AMD processor, and huge maps in the modern age dont take an annoyingly huge amount of time.

If anyone finds the game unbearably slow the most cost-effective speed up will be to increase the RAM, RAM is dirt cheap nowadays in comparison with most computer parts.
                      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                        DDR RAM is faster sure, but not twice as fast. You're talking a much lower performance increase. (Edit: Alva beat me. )

These days 512MB of PC2700 or better is a must. I have 1GB PC3200 and I don't regret it ever. If anyone is upgrading RAM make sure to get a sort compatible with your board.
                        And like a ditz I forgot to re-iterate the above point

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I use 1GB of PC3200 as well, but the game never seems to use more than about 300-400MB.

DDR is better it your rig can use it, but it cost more.

Comment

another problem with civ3 and memory is that the game doesnt release all the memory it using when it exits...

many a time i end up with a frozen IE and outlook after closing down civ3ptw ..

things get reaaly bad if you want to then play a c3c game it locks up big time,....
                            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I have not seen that. I ran with it up non stop for about a week, in fact I just took it down the other day. I mean all day, no exit 24/7.

Was it Win98SE?

Comment

nope win XP .. the problem only arises when you finsih the game not during the game, i play lots of pbem games and i used to exit between games but found the freezaing of IE and outlook wasnt worth it and jsut alt-tab to get to outlook now when playing pbem..
                                i also dontplay ptw pbem an c3c pbem on same days for same reason,. the computer jsut freezes when changing exiting on and starting th eother.

1.2 Gghz machine 512MB RAM

80gig hard drive
                                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                                X