No announcement yet.

Why I love lethal bombarment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful attack... take the rest of the chokepoint!!

It's funny, but as I was reading your account and looking at the screenshot, I said to myself "Now who has that excellent Patton quote in their tagline?"
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Theseus. How did I know you'd be drawn to this thread once I got the screenshot up? Moth, flame and stuff, but glad you saw it. I was seriously considering putting it over on the strat forum too, just to make sure you did.

Here's the current situation. Everything west of the screenshot is German now, including Persepolis and a gem monopoly, and I'm debating how much longer to continue the war. Sad thing is, this is one of the few wars I really would have rather avoided at the beginning.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Duh, forgot to actually attach the shot.
        Attached Files

Comment

What version is this? C3C 1.15?

Interesting AI CP... too damn spread out in the flatlands, but pretty good in that Chinese isthmus (I wish it wouldn;t build right next to volcanoes though).

Who is the red AI civ at the top of the home continent, and WTF are they still doing alive? Productive vassal?

I didn't remark before, but HOTDAMN you got some good Army mojo going!

[Er, not to point out anything you don't know, but, ah, you've pretty much won. ]
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Solomwi , that's some impressive empire you got there. How's the corruption in your cities?
            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Theseus, this is a playout of a game I already won culturally (C3C 1.15, yes), since I hate to spend all that time building up a great empire and not actually enjoy the fruits of it, so I think you may be right.

Another screenshot I'll have to post when I get home, regarding that Chinese isthmus. It connects to the northern landmass via a the thinnest of land bridges (two tiles side by side with a wisp of land between them), and just scanning the map, I noticed a fortress on each tile, so I had the 3rd Fighter Group do a flyover and found musketmen fortified in barricades on both sides of the bridge. Interesting that the AI recognized that potential chokepoint and fortified it, even deep in its own territory. It's a move I might have made, though I would have just had the structure in place and not manned it until absolutely necessary.

The red is Rome, and I've gone to war with them once (to break their spice trade with Persia after Persia's borders engulfed my colony and I never got a chance to trade for the spices), opened a can on them, took all their harbors on the first turn, then cut every road crossing the border, traded for the spices and made peace, giving them back most of that area they currently have. Overall, though, they just haven't been a threat, wouldn't provide productive cities, and have one of every modern resource, so I've not bothered taking them out, but kept an eye on them in case my aluminum, uranium or oil suddenly evaporated. Of course, with the rich Persian lands now in my control, that's no longer necessary. I guess I'll let Caesar play Gilligan (little buddy) until my whim turns.

Bongo, total corruption is ugly, but my core is unaffected by the outliers, so I don't mind it. I've got nine cities producing over 120 shields (MA or marine in a single turn), 3 more between 110 and 120 (MI in one turn), and probably a dozen more between 100 and 110. Police and civil engineers have actually made managing those badly corrupt cities interesting in the late game, for me at least.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, Theseus... my love affair with 4xMarine Armies is at an all-time fever pitch with the latest changes. Two move, blitz and increased offense?

Comment

i always keep the ais alive as they are my main money income as later in the game they are willing 66 gold per turn occaisionally for a tech or even more
                  F 14 tomcat fanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Fistleaf
                    But wouldn't lethal bombardment defeat the purpose of using navies in the first place?
                    Why should I build a navy and coastal fortresses to defend my coast when I can simply build hordes of bombers to destroy any enemy ships? I can play the whole game without using any ships. This also discourages use of marines and carriers as they become so hard to protect.
                    Because you can launch LB bombers off of carriers

Comment

Working...
                    X