No announcement yet.

Towards Gaming in the Classroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always the way with American sites... I once got locked out of a chatroom for talking about mosquitos sucking blood, and I saw someone else chucked for saying they came from Cumbria... discussion of Balaam's Ass also appeared to be impossible. Americans are so prudish!

Comment

Last I knew this was not an American site.

Comment

Really? Well, I do apologise. What a slur!

Comment

At least we can say dick now, as in Cheney. I wonder if he graduated with any honours.....
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I think civ could teach kids history, for example how early civilisation knew little about the geography of the planet, and had to explore to discover resources and places to expand.

Civ is not very realistic compared to reality, but it can teach things like teamwork or even blackmail with your nearby civilisations.. with allying for wars . The mutual protection pacts can be quite realistic , similar pacts started world war 1 and 2 .
            I hope its not used to teach warmongering, people who think wars are the only way to solve things really are quite stupid. Its good civ shows you get a bad reputation if you use evil methods or break treaties. Its a shame the resource system isn't very well developed in civ, with proper quantitative resource stocks and markets, but the Economic warfare aspects are very informative (cutting off resource roads or using Embargoes) .

Comment

I don't see how Civ could teach anything to anyone older than 12-13. Unless they truly are idiots.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

no shortage of those out there.

The question though, do strategy games create future warmongers?
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                  I don't see how Civ could teach anything to anyone older than 12-13. Unless they truly are idiots.
                  It would definitely teach liberals a thing or two about "real politik."

I've had a Civ3 club for my middle school students for a couple years now. It is a lot of fun to see them come to certain decisions when playing a game. More often than not, their game-play is in direct line w/ their personalities. But, I do feel they get a great deal out of resource management, etc.
                  "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                  I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                  --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Idiocy is generally simply the disinterested nature of a person to know of a particular subject, often through a lack of balanced exposure to it. The average person is not so exposed to even the minute wealth of historical data packed into the civilopedias of civ games. Nor are they so inclined to be interested in the occurences of other culture's rich past history (or even their own more accurate one). I consistently amaze people with what I would consider basic trivial information. Thus they would not be idiots necessarily and still not know at the age of 12-13. More advanced subjects such as strategies which relate to real-world political and strategic interactions are much harder to grasp, ie many people are easily dissuaded by simple mass media marketing of propaganda. As such those 'idiots' would subsequently be less so by exposure to a historical PC title like this. (Even RON has a good deal of stuff to read up on)
                    Every man should have a college education in order to show him how little the thing is really worth.

Comment

read description on all improvements, wonders and units. theres a LOT of info there...
                      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by swat-spas2
                        Idiocy is generally simply the disinterested nature of a person to know of a particular subject, often through a lack of balanced exposure to it. The average person is not so exposed to even the minute wealth of historical data packed into the civilopedias of civ games. Nor are they so inclined to be interested in the occurences of other culture's rich past history (or even their own more accurate one). I consistently amaze people with what I would consider basic trivial information. Thus they would not be idiots necessarily and still not know at the age of 12-13. More advanced subjects such as strategies which relate to real-world political and strategic interactions are much harder to grasp, ie many people are easily dissuaded by simple mass media marketing of propaganda. As such those 'idiots' would subsequently be less so by exposure to a historical PC title like this. (Even RON has a good deal of stuff to read up on)
                        Well said.
                        "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                        I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                        --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

SimCity has already beaten Civ to the post many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            Game theory.

Even if you don't like the game, there's a lot to learn from it.

I think it would be interesting to point out where the game deviates from history, and why, both in terms of historical accuracy and in game playing.

People are very creative about spearman beating tanks here. A classroom could be too.
                            [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

Of course, that may make my child, the future Podos POTUS, a bit prone to warmongering as a general solution, but what the heck.
                              Theseus, just don't let your kids read your sig.....EVER!
                              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller

Theseus, just don't let your kids read your sig.....EVER!
                                Oh, come on, every kid should see the wisdom in making Marine+Berserk Armies amphibious!
                                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X