Siege/city defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bongo
    attacking one each turn is pure waste, unless you get really lucky...
    This is exactly the thing. One spearman can, if he's lucky, pick off as many archers as you choose to send his way, if they're all heading there in a line and attack one by one. He will defeat one and heal in time to take the next. You need to send your forces so they all arrive *at the same time*. Then, the spearman may defeat the first attacker, but he'll lose health and your second attacker will be more likely to kill him. Or the third. Take as many along as you can. If some arrive before the others, make them wait while the troops arrive. If you're worried they might get attacked while they wait, send some spearmen or other defenders along with them to protect them. You'll need defenders anyway, to defend the city when you take it.

Comment

yeah, but after each skirmish the defender gained health (barracks?) Also, I tried mass catapults and they miss quite a lot...
      Do you mean you did attack in one turn orr you didn't? If they gained health immediately after an attack without a turn inbetween, that means they were promoted (from Regular to Veteran or Veteran to Elite).

The reason to attack all in one turn is that inbetween turns, units can heal. So a 4/4 Archer can die against a 4/4 Spearman after reducing it to 1/4. But inbetween the turns, the Spearman can recover, and bam next turn you have a 4/4 unit to kill again. Whereas in one turn you could've sent an archer that died bringing it down to 1/4, and then a second archer that was already there could've finished it off.

It makes realistic sense, too. Imagine that, during WWII, instead of fast and immediate strikes, Germany lazily sent one or two tanks to the frontlines at a time. The defending nations would have picked them off easily, and then recovered the slight damage they might have suffered (it would be less anyway, as it's easier for 10 tanks to defend against one than 10, right?)

There's no "rule of thumb" for how many offenders to take for every defender the enemy has, because that also depends on what types of units they are (Cavalry, Rifleman, Infantry, Knight?), their HPs, and the defensive bonuses the terrain gets. The best solution is to gather as much force as possible, and attempt to quickly crush them so fast they won't know what just came and kicked their ass.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

does having all of your archers in the same tile mean they will all attack? It doesn't look like it does extra damage, but the white lines at the lower left of the units (showing the # of units there) move w/ it
        It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.

Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Any given unit will attack only if you directly order it to do so. As long as no unit is moving out of the tile, the white lines showing the numbers there shouldn't change. Of course, if a unit is killed whilst in the stack - perhaps because of an unsuccessful attack on another unit - there is one less in the stack and the white lines will change accordingly. Similarly, if a unit in the stack successfully attacks an enemy and moves onto its tile, there will be one less in the stack.

The point is that you order one unit to attack, and then the next, and so on in quick succession until the enemy is dead (this advice is taken from "Advanced Military Strategies" (c) General Hannibal Barca, Carthage Miltary Manuals Publications 200BC).

Comment

Originally posted by Plotinus
            (this advice is taken from "Advanced Military Strategies" (c) General Hannibal Barca, Carthage Miltary Manuals Publications 200BC).
            Hmm...I think that copyright might have expired...
            But then with the actions of the U.S. Congress to keep extending copyright, who knows?

- Kef
            I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Make sure you take advantage of the ancient era's unique offensive advantage: The 3 attack swordman plus the 2 attack w/ retreat horseman vs. the 2 def spearman in a town. Once the Middle Ages start and everyone puts in aqueducts and pikemen, you need a higher ratio of attackers to defenders to win.

In summary: Go to war once you hook up iron and horses.

Comment

:hmm: taking a city defended by 1 spearman with 10 archers will work *almost* all the time.

About that white lines under units. You got one per unit, when you attack with one of them it will *look* like all move at once, they don't. Only one unit will attack at a time, unless you have put them in an army.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sartek
                  yeah, but after each skirmish the defender gained health (barracks?) Also, I tried mass catapults and they miss quite a lot...
                  A couple of observations here:

After attacking/being attacked twice in the same turn, a unit will advance in rank (regular - veteran - elite) thus gaining a few extra health and more 'health available'.

Also, the city/stack defends with the highest defense unit available. If an enemy 'stack' is out in the open, you can rt-clk on the stack and see the number/type of units in the stack. If the units are within an enemy city, only the 'current' defender will show on the list. It is possible for a city to contain many Spearmen (or whichever defending unit), but you will only see 1 at a time. When that 1 gets weakened by your attack, the next best defender will show-up. If the case w/ several Spears, it will look like the Spear gained health, when in fact, it's just a new Spearman taking-on the Defense Duty.

If the town/city has a Barracks in it, all the wounded Defenders will be fully healed the next turn.

Yes, Catapults do miss frequently. That's why you need lots of them to be successful. Assuming the Cat-attack was successful, the 'wounded' defender will 'go to the back of the line' and the next best defender will emerge. You have to have enough Arty units to seriously weaken ALL defenders within a city on the same turn. Then, use your Archers/Swords to attack the 'weakened' defenders.

Trebuchets are better than Catapults, but Artillery doesn't really become awesome until the 'Artillery' unit becomes available at Replaceable Parts. After that point, Arty really ROCKS!!! (Radar Artillery is just more icing on the cake sweetness).

Steven
                  "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Catapults can also hit the barracks, thus stopping the annoying full heal. Though, the enemy units will still heal one point per turn.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That is true about Artillery of some kind hitting buildings like the Barracks, but in Conquests the Artillery targets 1. Walls 2. Units of more than 1hp left 3. Improvements in that strict order. If there are still units in the city with more than 1 hp, you will not destroy any improvements except Walls (should there be any).

There was one bug associated with this in v1.00 C3C (any ideas if this was fixed in 1.12 or 1.13?) - if the Great Wall is owned by the civ you are attacking, as that means it looks like the city you are attacking has Walls, the game will try to kill the Walls first. If the GW is there, this will be the first thing destroyed. Moreover, if the GW is elsewhere, Artillery will systematically destroy every improvement in the city (including Wonders, the Palace and FP) trying to get the Walls that aren't really there. Losing the Palace appears not to actually do anything, however.

I have found that 3-6 Catapults is what I send in, and I will usually have to bombard for a few turns before I strike the luck I need to take off enough hp to believe it is worth it. Huge stacks like those mentioned above are certainly useful, but if you can only manage to get a few Artillery units in then that can be worth it too. I couldn't possibly have the patience to deal with more than 40 units of ANY kind at a time in a stack, let alone of Artillery alone. My most powerful Arty stacks have been 20-odd in the Industrial Era, and I have found this will be plenty on Monarch level.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Sartek
                        40??? ok, still building up forces
                        40 might be a little extreme, but you should have at least 10. The more you have, the more effective they become. Just make sure they're well defended, or you'll lose them all. This is were an Army comes in handy, the AI will seldom attack a stack of artillery units that are defended by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          Catapults can also hit the barracks, thus stopping the annoying full heal. Though, the enemy units will still heal one point per turn.
                          Units in friendly or neutral territory will heal one hp per turn, units in cities will heal two hp per turn, units in cities with barracks will heal completely in one turn,(armies will heal a max of 4 hp per turn) units in enemy territory will not heal at all unless you have built battlefield medicine, in which case they heal as in friendly/neutral territory. To heal you will have to skip an entire turn(being fortified count as skipping)

This is vanilla civ3/ptw rules. Things are a bit different in c3c, armies heal faster(twice as fast as before I think, except in cities with barracks where they heal completely) I don't know what other changes have been done.
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I just don't find that cats are worth building. I would just go with mounted units. Artillery is a whole new ballgame and if by some quirk I haven't finished the conquista by replaceable parts I'll build a hundred of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                              I just don't find that cats are worth building. I would just go with mounted units. Artillery is a whole new ballgame and if by some quirk I haven't finished the conquista by replaceable parts I'll build a hundred of them.
                              The thing is that Bombard units are the cheapest to upgrade, and if you manage them properly, the Catapult you build early in the game will become the Artillery later on. It's probably cheaper to upgrade than to build a bunch of Arty from scratch. It's certainly a lot quicker. By building them right off the bat and continuing to do so throughout the game, you'll have a sizable force by the time you reach Replaceable Parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X