Preferred map size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred map size?

I'm planning on making some custom maps, now what sizes do most people play at? Pick all that apply...
    Tiny
    9.00%
    Small
    11.00%
    Standard
    32.00%
    Large
    22.00%
    Huge
    26.00%
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

I usually play at standard, except when I want a quicker game, then tiny fits the bill.

I really prefer huge, but since I only end up staring at the ceiling with my mouth open and drool running down my chin while waiting for the late game turns, I don't.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I usually play standard and occasionally large, but that has a lot to do with my current slow computer and the huge lag time in between turns in the later ages on the larger map sizes.

But my wife and I just ordered a new computer up in vmxa1's range of computer ability so I might be able to jump up my map size a bit.
      Last edited by Rhothaerill; January 7, 2004, 20:29.

Comment

I usually play huge, unless I want a quick gaem, in which case I use tiny. I have Conquests on my new computer, which runs very fast
        Pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 2848111...
        Approximately.

Comment

Std.

Comment

It figures a guy who nicknames himself "ICBM" would like huge!

I play standard. I guess I'm like Goldilocks. Other sizes are either too big or too small. Standard is just right.
            "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Standard, with 60% water.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I always enjoyed Large games but they took forever. More recently I have moved to Standard for games that are short enough I can finish several before the next patch. Or, in the case of the latest patches, at least START a game before a new one arrives.....
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

huge

Comment

We can put down YS for huge.

Comment

I usually play on Tiny just to get some action going. Though i play a peaceful game until the middle ages.

Occasionally i play huge or large, but when i do and i get into the later part of the game, turns took anywhere from 10-15 min. And usually do to time constraints, i couldn't play more than a few turns. I also usually kept a logbook where i made entries as to what i did and what i was planning on doing, since it was kinda hard to try to remember everything after you come back the next day to play a few more turns.

Comment

I play standard, mainly because I find 8 civs as a perfect amount so that they all have a chance of being at least worthy of some attention, and also so that I avoid the late-game molasses. I might try large or huge maps with 8 civs (in SMAC I enjoyed the reqular game with huge maps), prbably just stick to large eventually, but right now I like standard.
                        I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

I usually play on large with about 22 civ's. Standard is to small so if you lose a city it ends up being a huge loss. I dont like huge because of the lag between turns and im not to patitent so I end up yelling at my pc for 5 minuets before my turn starts agin then quite large also means way to many little cities to deal with. One of the senarios for ptw had a map i dont rember how big it was but i rember saying it was bigger the a huge map. even when you just started it took 5 minuets for your turn to come around Imagine how long it would have taken in modern times. i would be playing a turn a day.
                          Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I love Huge maps...

and I look forward to the day when I have a wall mounted 128 inch monitor and still have to scoll the map...

The whole concept of so much detail, so many civs, so many people, so many units...

Bring on Massive Global Civ... 181 Civs.... ouch...

I suppose I will need to upgrade my PC again..
                            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Almost always Large with 7 opponents (only to slow down research a bit... I think that technology trade and fast research is a big issue in this game, the early techs and especially the MA ones should be MUCH slower IMO.)

Comment

Working...
                              X