Preserve Random Seed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserve Random Seed?

What influence does this checkbox have on the game? I have been wondering this for quite some time. Could someone please help me?

In civ2, every time you reloaded all the random events (like what's in a goodie hut, or the outcome of combat) would be reset. This lead to a lot of (fun) abuse... just keep resaving until you get the result you want!

So, civ3 "preserved" the original seed. Outcomes are still random, but set. I take it some civvers complained, so now we have the option whether or not we want to enable the feature/cheat.

jon.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

It means that any 'random' event will occour in exactly the same order from a given save point.

Computers do not generate numbers truly randomly but instead use a seed number to create a number string that results are pulled off of. This seed number is saved alongside your save and so the same string can be recreated every time you load that game.

For example, with this option on, if you save and have a fight the outcome will be the same every time you fight that fight from that save point. Other random events such as goody huts and volcanos will have the same results from a save point if triggered in the same order.

With this option off you could repeatadly reload a save to get the result you wanted from a fight. If you had the patience you could cause a warrior to beat an infantry. A lot of people consider this to be cheating though.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
      X