No announcement yet.

The Capital Of A Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plotinus, in that example, (in a US classroom) when the teacher used that analogy, it was implied that it was 'specific' buildings, ie. the 'US Capitol Building', and/or ' Capitol Building(s)'.

It was not to imply 'just any' building with a dome'. (and NO, I'm not saying that St. Paul's Cathedral, et al are 'just any buildings'.)

The analogy was meant to be specific not general.
    Sorry for the confussion.

Steven
    "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Ahhh, fair enough! Still a good way of getting you to remember it. I approve of this teacher - although of course "it's" could sometimes be "it has", as in "it's got...".

Your flag reminds me of the time I visited Austin and was proudly informed that the Texas state capitol is actually taller than the federal one in DC. I wasn't in the least bit surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by Plotinus
        Ahhh, fair enough! Still a good way of getting you to remember it. I approve of this teacher - although of course "it's" could sometimes be "it has", as in "it's got...".
        Could have been that she said something more like, "It's is ALWAYS a contraction, never possesive." Or something to that effect. Anyway, it's a good way to remember certain grammar rules--she had several of them. The fact that I can still recall them (whether completely or not) is a testiment to her abilities. Just goes to show that sometimes one can get a decent education in spite of the US Educational System.

Originally posted by Plotinus Your flag reminds me of the time I visited Austin and was proudly informed that the Texas state capitol is actually taller than the federal one in DC. I wasn't in the least bit surprised!
        Yeah, and our flag is the only state flag that can be flown at the same height as the US flag. It all came from the negotiation between the United States and the Republic of Texas. The early Texans felt that they were giving-up thier soverenty to become a 'mere state' so they should be compensated in some way. We've never forgotten that we were once a nation!

Most Texans consider themselves to be first, Texans, then Americans. I would imagine that it's not too unlike the Scotts in that respect.

So yes, our Capitol is taller than the US Capitol and our flags fly at the same height.

Steven
        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Ha, yes! I have a very good friend who is a patriotic Texan, and I'm reliably informed that the mighty Texan empire will once again rise. In fact, I have a sudden urge to try out a Texan civ...

I must admit I was a little thrown by the sheer number of Texan flags on display there, as well as the general enthusiasm for flags in America in general. We don't generally fly flags in Britain, except in places like Northern Ireland! What happens if you try to fly another state flag at the same height as the US flag? (Stop me if I wander off topic here...)

Comment

Goddamnit. Laugh at me too, fellas. I've been using "capitol" for, oh, my entire time here at 'poly. For the same reason Theseus did.

That irritates me. Blah. Capital it is, then (old chap).

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Plotinus
              Yup, I had been getting very annoyed by the constant misspelling of "capital" in these threads, but I was too polite to mention it! As bad as "Napolean", "facism", and "raising cities", all of which I've seen depressingly often too...

Oh, and when he was being a spelling Nazi, Theseus said "it's" when he meant "its". Pronouns never take an apostrophe in the genitive. So there!
              Dear god, I am an idiot.

I really meant to say "I am it's speling facist."
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Plotinus What happens if you try to fly another state flag at the same height as the US flag? (Stop me if I wander off topic here...)
                Beheading! Then they tear-down the offending flag and trample it in the dirt?

Honestly, I don't know. Since I haven't had to worry about it, that's one piece of info that I haven't bothered to learn. However, I am now currious, and will endeavour (spelling in honour of Plotinus) to find out.

Steven
                Last edited by steven8r; January 7, 2004, 15:15.

Comment

this has become

Comment

They ought to have Flags for the Capitols in Civ!!!

That way, when your forces take an enemy capitol (or the other way around) , the conquered civ's flag could be lowered (and trampled in the dirt) and the conquering civ's flag could be raised. That could be a cool little animation that they could incorporate into the game.

However, since they haven't even drawn the graphics for the new Wonders, this idea is probably a little ways off.

As is, the only flags in the game (other than some leaderheads in various Conquests) are the ones used to tell how many units are in an Army. Those flags change w/ every age.

Flags for Capitols in Civ!
                    There, back OT.

Steven

Comment

I heard that any US flag on display must be clearly lighted at night or taken down. Some people were complaining in Tulsa, OK about this after 9-11 happened where everyone had flags sticking everywhere. I thought that was kinda odd. I guess if you don't plan on being 100% patriotic, dont be it at all

Btw, Do Texan's consider themselves living in Tex-'ass' ?

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
                        I heard that any US flag on display must be clearly lighted at night or taken down. Some people were complaining in Tulsa, OK about this after 9-11 happened where everyone had flags sticking everywhere. I thought that was kinda odd. I guess if you don't plan on being 100% patriotic, dont be it at all

Btw, Do Texan's consider themselves living in Tex-'ass' ?
                        Why do you think we smell so bad? 'cause we're full of Bull****!

If you want to know about (US) flag etiquete, check this link:
                        US Flag Code

Steven

Comment

Thx, its all i never wanted to know

btw, i guess i was right:

"The U.S. Code states, “…when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.” (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6(a)) "

Comment

Hey while we are talking about confusing graphics in the game whats with the (10.10.0) that is shown next to you civlization name in the lower right corner of the screen you know its by where you click for diplomacy and to end your turn. the number changes during the game but i have know idea what it is.
                            Btw: wow you spent most of the page talking about correct grammer and spelling just thought id mention it.
                            Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

there ya go about the numbers:

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r

endeavour (spelling in honour of Plotinus)

Steven
                                Huzzah! You've made my day. You even managed "honour" too... ;-)

Fabulous stuff from the Flag Code people (although I'm a little disappointed to find that it's not enforceable by law... that would have been very amusing). It's another world.

Oh, and I'm not going to mention Elias' use of "grammer", so don't worry...

Comment

Working...
                                X