First Conquests Win - One City Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Conquests Win - One City Challenge

or not challenge, I don't know if it was my other cities or not, but this was the easiest game I have ever played (of Civ3)

first I played tiny world, archepegio, 3 opponents

the only resource I started next to was silk, and that is actually the only problem I had through that game (I never even made railroads, couldn't get the coal, although I was having the computer players gain up on one computer player so I could get his coal)

I took off the militaristic victory conditions

I meant to take off cultural, but I forgot (This is how I won btw, I meant to win by space race)

another rule I had it was that no land troop of mine could leave my culture zone

I played with the babylonians

and it was really easy

I ended the game about 1 age above the computer players, and they were only were they were because I gave them techs so that I could trade for some of their resources they were sitting on (and to get them to go to war with this one computer player so that his coal would be freed up)

the 4 science great leaders helped

and this was not playing my best at all, several times I allowed myself to be at 100% tech when I only had 1 turn left before I learned something

and also, I sort of botched the one time I had to fight, and had 5 spots of mine unproductive for many years because they kept being raided by my oponent (I should have had a couple more units, it is not like the cost was too much)

but I mean, they had calvary and I had TOW infantry (and the best tanks if I would have had the resources)

TOW infantry make it a lot easier to play with low resouces BTW, so that was a nice change

this is like the first time I have gotten into the modern age since the first year Civ3 was out

if I had done the space race like I planed there might have been some issues, there were no aluminum in my radius so I would have to figure out a way to get it from one of my oponents (not sure if it would be possible, I could only find 2 sources on the map (but I didnt' look everywhere))

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

good job...

what level did you play on?
    You saw what you wanted
    You took what you saw
    We know how you did it
    Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Well, disable military victory was a bit of cheating.. I know a few people who have pulled a win out of this, usually cultural or diplomatic in Monarch difficulty w/o modifying any game settings like that. Not saying it wasn't an accomplishment but, you said yourself it was an easy game. Also, try it on a map where the comp's are all around you on a continent and its a whole lot harder.
      USA

Another brilliant Idea from the think tank. Sure, why don't ya both come up. We'll put the prisioner on the honor system, have 'er guard 'erself.

Comment

emperor

does it affect AI behavior? I didn't know that

I just wanted to make sure that there was no way I would win by conquest

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

This makes me want to see if I can win a OCC on Sid level. I will use standard settings across the board and see how that works. I will have use a random civ but I will have to allow myself the choice of three starting positions. Off to try it...

Comment

I really doubt this is possible with standard settings but, good luck. I'd love to be proven wrong here.
            USA

Another brilliant Idea from the think tank. Sure, why don't ya both come up. We'll put the prisioner on the honor system, have 'er guard 'erself.

Comment

try the not moving outside of the city radius

it complicates things

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I am going to try it again

larger world, with 5 competitors (shuold still be pretty fast)

continents

allow all victory conditions

and never move a land troop outside of my culture radius

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by ~Vodka~
                  Well, disable military victory was a bit of cheating.. I know a few people who have pulled a win out of this, usually cultural or diplomatic in Monarch difficulty w/o modifying any game settings like that. Not saying it wasn't an accomplishment but, you said yourself it was an easy game. Also, try it on a map where the comp's are all around you on a continent and its a whole lot harder.
                  sorry, I did play continents

and I am not aware of how disabling military victory is cheating unless teh computer plays differently according to teh victory conditions?

other than the victory condiitons, I din't modify any settings

JonM iller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It does...

Comment

well

trying it again but on demigod, small world (5 opponents)

all victory conditions enabled

this level seems a bit harder

I wasn't ahead of the computer in tech until I was out of the ancient age

but than I decided to try to fight a single horseman off with 3 warriors, and lost

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

another unsuccessful attempt

this time I was babylon

I as about standard through philosphy, got it and traded for techs I missed (and code of laws which is what I picked up with philosophy)

but than republic took me forever, and by the time I finished learning that I was irreparably behind and I never caught up for the rest of the game

I wasalways 4-9 turns behind someone else in getting a technology, and the AI was too interested in trading (for the backwards nations)

I did still get the first two important WW, the collosos and the masualeum

I missed the observatory and newton's university (I think you have to have these to keep up or get ahead), and I may have gotten shakespeare's theater (the game ended when the country that I went to war with to gte some technology came by and slaughtered me)

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I'v made ~10 attempts since my first post at this:
                          6 in Sid
                          1 in Demi God
                          rest in Monarch.
                          Typically the larger the map, the longer I lasted.

None have worked out for me with standard settings. IMO, its not possible anymore. On many occasions I had all the lux i needed for trades, got iron for upgraded defenders, appeased the AI's at every request, yet still the farthest I made was to the beginning of the industrial age where like in every other game I was sneak attacked by the AI civ that surrounded me. I never lasted for more than a few turns as the amount of pikemen/muskets one can afford to keep up on one city income is not that high (I think at the best I had 6 muskets and 3 pikes, breaking even)

I honestly believe that the only reason Sirian(See this link: http://sirian.warpcore.org/civ3/game7.html) got a win out of his One City Challenge was that he was playing Civ3 classic, not Conquest. In all my games I never once got a fair deal out of any AI for tech.. I never gained a tech lead except for a few points in Moncarch games wich were promptly followed by my destruction.

In short, Im really fed up with this, if someone else can pull this off with standard settings, my hat is off to you.
                          USA

Comment

I might try it going back to tiny again

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

all victory conditions on

tiny

demigod

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X