Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correlation between starting Terrain and Civ chosen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correlation between starting Terrain and Civ chosen?

In Civilization 3 is there a correlation between the terrain you start out on and the civ chosen? Besides the seafaring one where there is a higher chance that you start next to water.

For instance are some civs more likely to start out on plains and floodlands, while others are more likely to start out with hills and grasslands?

Not so I can tell.

Comment

Seems random to me.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

At first I thought that Agricultural civs start on rivers more often...but it turns out this was more likely due to my switch from a huge map to a standard map at the same time I decided to try the aggie civs. I'm thinking smaller worlds are more "dense" terrain-wise, so the likelihood of starting near or on a river increases. I could be wrong. But I switched back to huge with Maya and found I didn't start near freshwater at all several times in a row. I compromised and switched to a large map. Didn't start on a river, but another was close enough to found my second city on. Though my first few Warriors got eaten by a single lucky barbarian (argh!), I think I may well have a good game in store...

So I don't think traits, other than Seafaring, affect the kind of terrain you'll start on, but surprisingly map size (and, very unsurprisingly, other map settings ) might.

- Kef
        I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Actually whenever there is a mongolian in game they always seem to be placed on or near plains
          However,
          The germans always seem to be on a jungle.
          The british always get plenty of space for port areas to.
          So I think there is a correlation cept for the germans.
          Sincerely, Archer of Elements

Comment

As far as I can tell its all random. Except for the seafaring one of course.

The corelation you are seeing Archer is probably the same as when you always get those damn bad starts that make you want to start again. You know, the computer knows which civ is the human and so gives him a bad start alot of the time.

Comment

I think it's random. I have not experienced the same trends as Archer describes. I probably could list my own observed trends, but then it begs the question that multiple sets of different observations and responses is the definition of random?

Random.
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I'm voting random -- seen too many jungle vikings and polar aztecs to think otherwise.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

From what I have seen, it appears that jungle starts are more common than anything else, for ALL civs, even in arid worlds!

But then we all know how much we can trust THAT conclusion.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                  X