No announcement yet.

Custom Size for Huge Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take a run on it as soon as I get my pc back. I swapped the MB for a better one and swap the mem for Muskin pc3200 and added a Raptor 10,000 rpm. Sam cpu 3.06GH. I would expect this to take no time at all as it is so early in the game, but I know it can get very painfull even on 3HG system late in the game.

Comment

I've edited world sizes, but left huge as is. Instead, I retitled Tiny as Gargantuan and set it to 362x362, with the full compliment of 31 flavors and a spacing of 42.

I'll let you know if my PIII 450 blows up.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
        This is one of the last (if not THE last!) savegame from the aborted Civ3 Democracy Game. We stopped it because turn ends were taking 5 minutes or more to run. There are 24 civs and the map is huge. We subsequently restarted on a smaller world with fewer civs, and turntimes are reasonable.

Please, tell me how long things take for a turn or two here. Feel free to play it further if you like, as this game was abandoned due to the lengthy waits. This map should be good, as it was designed by a neutral Apolytoner specifically for the purpose of our game.
        alright. i put the workers to various tasks, fortified any units who needed orders, and ended the turn at 8:29:26. i ok'd dialogs as quick as i could, and went with the previous units being built. i was able to move again at 8:31:35 - so it took about 2:10 to go from first turn to second.

second turn took about 1:30.

third turn took about 1:35, and the germans declared war when i wouldn't meet their demands

turns are a tad slow, but assuming they don't get any worse, i don't consider them excessive. i expect that once the map is thinned out a bit, things will improve - i've always had the impression that given the same total number of units, moves, and cities, turn time is simply a function of civs involved.
        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Capture a city or build a new one see what happens.

Comment

Sounds OK, pauli, so perhaps one of we poor cash-strapped DG players just needed to get a meatier computer to play on and we would have been able to continue with the map...

But 1 minute wait this early on is nothing to sneeze at. This will quickly turn into treacle, betcha.

BTW, feel free to continue playing if you like. Please tell us what happens if you do (especially regarding the slowdown). If you really wanted, I'm sure I could track down the map itself for you to play with as another civ.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Bump for ease of location. I have downloaded the save and will try it today. Finally got my system back.

Comment

Ideally, large maps would have fewer good city sites, while still a low OCN, thus creating big empires w/o the big lag.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Ok I ran a few turns with the brute.

Load from save to ready for my turn was about 45 seconds.
                  Turns were measured from end of turn to first event involving my units (no combat) 1 min 11 secs and tehn you get some more action until you actually have real control 2 minutes and a few seconds.

This system is running XP PRO with lastest crit updates on Pent IV -3.066GH. 1 GB of Munckins PC3200. Civ is on Raptor 10,000 rpm drive using Alcohol120 (no real CD). Radeon 9800 Pro.

I seen that the player was not at war, but I did not check on teh others. Nor do I know how many units the civs have.
                  Once they get a few hundred each and go to war it would get a bit worse if all civs are still around.

You got to love the one that take these games on really massive 362x362 maps. I do not find it fun to wait for even 60-90 seconds breaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X