Custom Size for Huge Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Size for Huge Maps

With the recent purchase of Conquests, I'm just now really getting into Civ3...I love the ability to play against 15 opponents and have had some awesome massive wars going on later in the game...

How can I make my huge maps I use in my games larger...is there a file somewhere that would allow me to change the default size of these maps so that there is a little more room for my civs to start?

Does it matter that I start the game up with Conquests?

One other question...I would like to alter the movement bonus for Railroads...again, is there a file somewhere that I can edit to change this rating?

Thanks for all the help. Happy gaming.

Kevin

go to the editor. You can set up Senerios and make changes with that.

Comment

how do I start a game with the changes I made then? What i really want to change is that when i create a random game with a huge map that it will be 200x200...

how would this be done?

Comment

The editor has random map generation. Just pop up a new map and change the settings. Then go to the senerio and have fun. There is a way to mod the game it's self I think, but I don't remember how...

Comment

when you make a custom map and save it in the default scenario directory, you have to pick "civ content" when you start the game rather than new game.

you can easily make a 200 x 200 map, but i think you would then have to put in all the terrain, etc..

not sure if you can change the "huge" map setting to other sizes.
          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

vee...that's exactely what i'd like to do...i know one of the games...maybe AC...was really easy to change...just a number in a file...but I can't seem to find something like that with Civ 3 or conquests...

anyone else have any ideas?

All I want to do is change the default HUGE map from 160x160 to something larger...like 180 or 200...

help me obi one...you're my only hope...

Kevin

Comment

step one: backup your current rules file (conquests.biq, i believe).
              step two: launche civ3conquestsedit.
              step three: from the scenario menu, choose custom rules. click ok.
              step four: from the rules menu, select edit rules.
              step five: from the world sizes tab, select huge from the dropdown.
              step six: edit the size.
              step seven: click close, and then save as conquests.biq.
              step eight: close the editor, launch c3c, and start game. no need to choose civ content or scenarios or anything.

some notes:

a: best way to find out if your changes are working is to make the map something like 3x3 the first time. it'll be pretty clear if you've changed the map size or not
              b: when you increase the size of the map, you should also increase the ocn, number of civs, civ spacing, and research rate. look at the other sizes to figure out a rough guess as to what to try.
              c: you can also edit all the other rules in the same way.
              d: careful not to make the map too big! i have yet to finish a game on a map larger than 256x256, and i'm a dedicated ocd builder. it just takes too long...
              e: you should still have a palace and city view using this method. if you choose to save your rules as another name and just launch a scenario, you won't. hopefully, they'll fix this nonsense.

good luck!
              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

pauli...

thank you thank you thank you...

just getting ready to make the changes...

Kevin

Comment

works great..thanks for the help...

now if i could only edit railroad attributes I'd be the happiest gamer there could be...

Kevin

Comment

interesting...will have to try this
                    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Good luck - you may be exceeding your computer's ability to play very well. Even those with top-of-the-line P4s have reported that, around the late Medieval, there is a BIG increase in the amount of time taken to go between turns. This is due to the number of civs in your game and the mapsize. You may find that huge enough maps just kill you with the waiting by the middle of the game.

Just a word of warning before you get too into a mammoth world game.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

heh. i'll take that as a challenge.

in the one corner: c3c, 31 civ game, 200x200 map (five civs already dead, about 20 turns in... i screwed up the spacing and they all started in the squares surrounding my own!)

in the far corner: 2.4c@3.0, 512mb ddr500.

who will win? WHOSE CUISINE REIGNS SUPREME?

er...

i *did* notice the occasional one or two second pause in my last game - at the end of the other immense civ's turn, huge pangaea map, they were late industrial, i was working on future tech. :ahem:

ah well, i'll see how this game goes... i'm the arabs, i've got four wine within my city radius, and i've got ivory in range for my second city.
                        Last edited by pauli; December 18, 2003, 12:12.

Comment

pauli or anyone else who believes they can play without long waits between turns - can I post a save, you play with it and tell me how long your end-of-turn is?
                          Consul.

Comment

sure.

Comment

This is one of the last (if not THE last!) savegame from the aborted Civ3 Democracy Game. We stopped it because turn ends were taking 5 minutes or more to run. There are 24 civs and the map is huge. We subsequently restarted on a smaller world with fewer civs, and turntimes are reasonable.

Please, tell me how long things take for a turn or two here. Feel free to play it further if you like, as this game was abandoned due to the lengthy waits. This map should be good, as it was designed by a neutral Apolytoner specifically for the purpose of our game.
                              Attached Files
                              Consul.

Comment

Working...
                              X