Playing CivIII on two computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing CivIII on two computers

I have two computers at home, a PC and a laptop. I'd like to connect the two and play CivIII on both computers at the same time. I have a network cable to connect the two but don't know how to set the computers up to talk to one another. I also only have one CivIII CD to run off of. What do I need in order to play CivIII on both computers? Can someone give me some advice on how to connect the two computers together?
    "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

Please limit this discussion to how to connect the two computers together... and NOT about only using one CD.

Apolyton does not support or condone the illegal use of software. The publisher of Civ III has NOT authorized a no cd crack... so any discussion on this topic constitutes illegal use of software.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Apolyton does not support or condone the illegal use of software. The publisher of Civ III has NOT authorized a no cd crack... so any discussion on this topic constitutes illegal use of software.

Hmmm Ming, please tell me you have that line on stand-by and don't type it from scratch each time.
      Last edited by alva; December 16, 2003, 20:00.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

ike0481,

The first thing you need is an additional C3C disk.
        (That should satisfy Ming).

Next, to help you connect the computers.......
        If only using 2 computers with network cards in them, use a cross-over cable and connect the two computers together. If you don't use xo cable, you will need a hub or switch.

you will need to make sure that both computers are running the same Client, and Protocols. (i.e. Client for MS Networks, and TCP/IP). If using Windows (any version) check the help files under 'Networking'.

Without more specific info like OS version and what kind of network, I can't be much more specific right now.

I noticed that you are from Texas too. If you are near a CompUSA, you can purchase a switch from them and they will install it for you--hopefully connecting your 2 computers together.
        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

IT may be useful having civ on 2 computers in multiplayer, for making Scenarios, where you want to set up complicated scenario settings like Wars and trade deals, and then Save the file.

If u use a ethernet Network to link the computers, and an IP network (you may need a hub too) you should be able to play multiplayer games the same way as you do on the internet. IP LAN Networks use a similiar system for multiplaying as the internet.
          Last edited by Admiral PJ; December 18, 2003, 14:33.

Comment

try multiplayer hotseat.

Comment

EDIT:

--- cut ---

Sorry, I had overlooked Ming asking not to answer about playing with one CD only on several machines.

Although the way I had in mind it doesn't require any illegal files, or makes the original CD unnecessary, it seems to be illegal, regarding the license agreement.
              Last edited by Sim; December 19, 2003, 03:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                Please limit this discussion to how to connect the two computers together... and NOT about only using one CD.

Didn't Ming just say not to talk about that.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Uhm ... sorry.

I'll edit my previous post.

Comment

Since he's only got 1 civ3 disc he'll need another copy and then 2 copies of a MP-civ3 version (i.e. c3c through amazon- just click the link). At present prices, an additional $30 more (it'll probably never be cheaper).
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                    X