Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your most unlikely battle victory/defeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your most unlikely battle victory/defeat?

I'm just talking about a single battle where you overcame great odds to win or lost despite having a huge advantage. Either between stacks of units or between individual units. I don't know if it makes a difference to the outcome what difficulty level you play.

Last night, I had a Veteran Numidian Mercenary killed by a concscript barbarian warrior who escaped without a scratch. I was playing an Emperor game.

You are correct the level has no impact. I have had all kinds of strange out comes, but to tell you the truth after a few hours, I forget them.
    I do recall a spear beating a tank in vanilla civ, but I have not seen in again. Then again, I don't see tanks vs spears much either.

Comment

Last night I had a pretty bad one.

I was 'just playing a few more turns' on the mesopotamia conquest after I had achieved a victory point win as egypt.

My 3 unit calvary army (5 attack + army mod, 13 hp) went up against a veteran spearman in a size 4 city on a hill.

The army was knocked down to 1 hp... the spearman lost 2 hp.

That was the last of my 'few more turns'.

Comment

I tend to remember my defeats better than my victories .

I once (civ vanilla or PTW) had a 12 HP all-cavalry army retreat with 1 HP after failing to take even a single HP from a veteran rifleman unfortified on grassland.

Difficulty level will play a role in barbarian battles -- at all levels except Deity the human gets a combat bonus against barbarians -- at emperor it is 50%, so your numidian merc was defending with a value of 4.5 plus whatever terrain bonus it was entitled to.

Catt

Comment

Catt, your PM box is full.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I haven't ever seen a spearman defeat a tank, but I did have a tank lose to a pikeman once. It wasn't too bad though since the game was almost won at the time.

The one that I usually remember though is when I had an elite knight attacking a catapult-damaged, unfortified regular warrior on grassland. My knight got creamed, didn't retreat, and the warrior didn't even lose a single HP.

Comment

Longbow takes MI (admittedly at 1 hp).

I've had lots of near misses... an Army left with 1 hp on defense or attack, that kind of thing.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Just had an amazing victory in a PBEM game with my brother. A single medieval infantry killed his full health immortal army.

I could post the save so we all could relive it.

Comment

It seems like every time I attack a spearman with a tank that the tank ends up losing, although the spearman ends up being half dead, so I end up killing it with something else anyways in the same turn. So I'm used to it - it would probably bother me if it stoped happening.
                  Lord of the World ... You just don't know it yet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SirOsis
                    Just had an amazing victory in a PBEM game with my brother. A single medieval infantry killed his full health immortal army.
                    I always thought those two "medieval" units were a little overpowered...

Originally posted by SirOsis
                    I could post the save so we all could relive it.
                    The random seed was preserved?
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I assume so. I will have to check. If it is I'll post it up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                        I tend to remember my defeats better than my victories .

I once (civ vanilla or PTW) had a 12 HP all-cavalry army retreat with 1 HP after failing to take even a single HP from a veteran rifleman unfortified on grassland.

Difficulty level will play a role in barbarian battles -- at all levels except Deity the human gets a combat bonus against barbarians -- at emperor it is 50%, so your numidian merc was defending with a value of 4.5 plus whatever terrain bonus it was entitled to.

Catt
                        I was defender in the battle. Not fortified. Do barbs get a bonus depending on aggression setting? I always play SP games w/barbs = raging.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

I was defender in the battle. Not fortified. Do barbs get a bonus depending on aggression setting? I always play SP games w/barbs = raging.
                          No bonus for for "raging" -- it just increases the frequency of barbcamps and the number of barbs spawned.

And what I meant by te 4.5 defense is that your numidian merc is a base defense of "3." At emperor against barbarians, you get a 50% bonus - so the 3 becomes 4.5. Whether or not fortified, defenders get a terrain defensive bonus - between 10% for flatlands like plains, grassland, desert, etc. to 100% for mountains (with hills, forests, jungles, etc. giving either 25% - 50%, can't remeber each specifically). A fortified unit gets another 25% bonus.

So, at emperor, an unfortified numdian merc on a hill, for example, would get base defense of 3; 50% bonus (1.5) for hill; and 50% bonus (1.5) against barbs -- it would defend at "6." On flatlands, it would defend at 4.8 (not sure how the rounding works with combat calculations).

Catt

Comment

Two German Veteran Knights landed on my island city defended by one regular spearman and one regular warrior. The first knight died on the spear. The second knight killed the spear, but died on the next turn when he went against the warrior.

And I saw my elite tank be whipped by a veteran Impi on Civ3 1.29. I thought it was pretty funny.
                            "The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." - Frederick II

Comment

Hmm, the other night two of my fortified veteran musketmen and an elite cavalry unit sat on a hill in a city, and were attacked by two regular longbowmen and a regular medieval infantry. The enemy beat all three units without losing a single health point- in fact, two of those units had more health after the attack than when they went in thanks to promotions (Dunno about the third unit as the fog of war came up, but it wouldn't surprise me).

Comment

Working...
                              X