No announcement yet.

Nukes to weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a diplomatic bent to possessing nuclear weapons in Civ3? Civ2 had the whole "our words are backed by nuclear weapons" thing, and I got the feeling (I may be mistaken) that having nukes made other civs less likely to attack or bully you, especially if they didn't have nukes.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The civ2 AI had no clue about sensible use of nukes(contradiction in terms, I know) Once they got it they would just toss them around like they were 1$ fireworks on new years eve.

Civ3 has improved a lot from what I've read.
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I think that is true that the AI evaluated the possession, or lack thereof, in its efforts to size up the enemy.

I miss that "our words are backed with nuclear weapons" quote from the AI.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Oh please. I don't miss it at all. Last time I saw it was after being on the receiving end of a multiple nuclear attack: 4 civs (including one that has always been friendly and never declared war on me!) dropped 20 or so nukes on me, about 3 or 4 turns after one of them stole nuclear fission from me the turn I finished building Manhattan Project. How about that for liberal use of nuclear power?
          The monkeys are listening.

Comment

arg. i KNEW when i modded the rules for my new game of c3c i forgot something... global warming. got to turn that nonsense off.

anyway, as for nukes... it's busters or bust, to my mind.

of course, i DID use nukes in my last game - i'd isolated a rather large portion of the zulu army in no-man's land (poor fools had sent everything they could after a barb hut halfway across the map - this ai behavior REALLY has to change) and so, when they finally declared war on me (i demanded they leave my territory after making sure it was impossible... after a couple turns, they got fed up ) i nuked the stack a couple times. i was less than impressed that it took two icbms to take out about 30 units, and there were STILL survivors.

but it was no man's land. one of my squares got some pollution, but hey. the other remaining civ didn't have a problem, as i didn't nuke enemy territory.
            it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Despite being a crappy game, the nuclear war in Super Powers was great.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Another thing in smac/x was reliable missile defense, and a fairly complicated global warming/eco system response to tossing around planet busters like confetti.
                These things just don't exist in Civ3. I think they should have just done the civ2 nuke model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. A. Cula
                  Oh please. I don't miss it at all. Last time I saw it was after being on the receiving end of a multiple nuclear attack: 4 civs (including one that has always been friendly and never declared war on me!) dropped 20 or so nukes on me, about 3 or 4 turns after one of them stole nuclear fission from me the turn I finished building Manhattan Project. How about that for liberal use of nuclear power?
                  I don't miss the questionable tactics/strategy...I just miss the proclamation each time. Kinda made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                    Despite being a crappy game, the nuclear war in Super Powers was great.
                    Yeah, that was fun. Unwieldy interface though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

I don't miss the questionable tactics/strategy...I just miss the proclamation each time. Kinda made me laugh.
                      Point.

Civ3 has it's moments too. Ramses once threatened me with war unless I gave him tech/money... when I called his bluff he told me 'I was going to chrush your pathetic little civ but we lost the paperwork'
                      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

And we all love Mao's ridicolously bad jokes...

"our friendship will survive despite rocks raining on us.."
                        (or something like that)

Comment

Can the power of nukes be tweeked by a mod? Could a mod also add additional types of nukes?

Comment

Yes, the attack values could be altered....but I think the idea is that nothing survives the attack.

Comment

The "Mass Destruction Artillery"that someone imagined some time ago could be a Flak that can bombard 2-3 squares away, a big attack value (but nothing that much useful, let's not make howitzers...) and that can generate pollution on the square bombarded, representing nocive gases and such...

Comment

I use nukes whenever there's a chance that an ai is near victory. Nuke the capital and capture it before completion of spaceship. Nuke a string of cities and roll into them with MI or MA and clean up.

Many players shy away from nukes for some reason. I've never figured out why. If you are the strongest power in the game then who cares if the world declares war on you for using nukes? Never tried this in MP but I'm sure no one would ever want to play me again so I refrain from nukage in MP games.
                                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X