research help and culture issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• research help and culture issue

I just won my first game through a diplomatice victory setting of regent. I did this in about 2048. I controlled almost double the amount of land and cities as my next nearest competitor but I was always very slow with research there was no way that I could of done the space ship. I always had a setting of atleast 70% for the research.

Also I was oozing culture but never was able to culturaly convert a city. size 12 Berlin was about 3 squares a way from a greek city size 2 in a swamp, berlin had about 4 wonders in it and every improvement possible up until berlin was about size 20 and that swamp city never came over to warmth of airconditiong and mosquito netting.

Anyhelp with there two problems would be apreciated. I am also playing using conquests. Guess alot of these qustions would could be answered by a comprehensive strat guide is there one out three.

I haven't got Conquests yet but...

Cultural conversion depends on total culture of the 2 civs, not the culture of the nearest city.

Research setting isn't the whole story. It also depends on the number and size of your cities and how many science improvements they contain.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Research will be slower on the lower levels, because you will have to do most of it yourself. Move up 2 or 3 levels and the research will go faster. Also in C3C research was adjusteded a bit so the max time is now 50 instead of forty. You also have at least one additional tech.

Comment

The culture flip is also a metter of chance, never take it for granted. My two most extreme examples are these:

1. A Japanese city flipping back the turn after I took it. Not very special I admit but, it was on the other side of my empire from the rest of Japans cities with absolutely no overlap from any japanese culture.

2. A Zulu city not flipping eventhough I had it completely covered in culture. It didn't have a single tile to use because of my four cities placed as close as can be with all culture improvement.

Comment

Not to overstate the obvious, but don't forget to enable cultural conversations in game setup before you start your game.

Comment

Cultural conversion depends on total culture of the 2 civs, not the culture of the nearest city.

Not quite true. IIRC it also depends on the number of foreign-held tiles within the normal city radius.

Comment

and also the number of unnocupied tiles. Someone said that he fought his wars by putting defensive troops all around cities so that they got no tiles to work. Apperently this meant that the tiles counted as foreign and that the cities had a higher chance of flipping.

Comment

Really? That's something I haven't seen in the flip formula....
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Argos65987
                  Not to overstate the obvious, but don't forget to enable cultural conversations in game setup before you start your game.
                  The same theory as when your monitor won't work... check it's plugged in.
                  "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

So that affects the building rate of Wonders as well?
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

DF - what affects the building rate? As far as I can tell the shields requirements are the same for the PtW Wonders.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                      X