Why can't I build Civil Defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I build Civil Defense?

I have the tech to do it, I built it in one city, but I can't seem to build it in any others. I have barracks in all cities. What's up with that?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

I never build them, but it only has two requirements
    1-barracks
    2-120 gold

If you have both then it should be allowed.

Comment

I have both, and they aren't available. I was able to build it one city, that's it.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Do you have Sun Tzu's? IIRC, if a Barracks is provided through a wonder before you built it normally, it doesn't work as a prerequisite for another building or a small wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
          Do you have Sun Tzu's? IIRC, if a Barracks is provided through a wonder before you built it normally, it doesn't work as a prerequisite for another building or a small wonder.
          AHA! That must be it.

Well, that's a pain in the arse. So basically Sun Tzu negates the ability to have civil defenses!
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

AHA! That must be it.

Well, that's a pain in the arse. So basically Sun Tzu negates the ability to have civil defenses!
            That would seem to undermine the value of Sun Tzu to a degree... I guess you have to bury your Terra Cotta warriors and embrace the modern era.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Ouch. If it is the case that Sun Tzu makes it impossible to build Civil Defences, this should go in the bug report thread.
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Not sure if I would call that a bug...

perhaps more like a choice... Not every city would need a civil defense, so you just need to build barracks in the cities that do.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                  Not sure if I would call that a bug...

perhaps more like a choice... Not every city would need a civil defense, so you just need to build barracks in the cities that do.
                  The point is that with Sun Tzu's free barracks, you don't have the option of 'actually' building a barracks. Anyhow, this bug is reported to have been fixed in Conquests, presumably because the new Temple of Artemis wonder (free temples) otherwise wouldn't have allowed cathedrals.
                  "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth
                    Ouch. If it is the case that Sun Tzu makes it impossible to build Civil Defences, this should go in the bug report thread.
                    This has been known for a long time. It was an intentional "feature", IIRC (I think I remember it appearing in the changes list for one of the original civ3 patches), but it is extrememly annoying.

Comment

Not sure what the big need is for civil defense. Your main empire will not need it and the fringe cities can' build it. It is a huge expense, which probably could be replaced with a few extra MI's.

Comment

I built Sun Tzu's in my current Conquests game and can build civil defense in cities that never had a "hand made" barracks.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                          I built Sun Tzu's in my current Conquests game and can build civil defense in cities that never had a "hand made" barracks.

Catt
                          Yes it has been verified that Sun TZU is not a block to civil defense. So that was reported in error.

Comment

Or something else was at play causing them not being able to build.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I wonder if this was a user mod? Otherwise as I said only two things are required AFAIK. Barracks and 120 gold, if you have the tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X