Which software to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which software to buy?

New to Civ3, but an old school Civ2 player.

I'm just wondering what software one needs to be fully up-to-date with Civ3. Does C3C have PtW built in? If it does, do I just need to buy the regular Civ3 (not GotY or Gold) and C3C, then patch it to cover everything?

Thank you.

You need Basic Civ3 and C3C. The latter fully includes PtW.

Comment

Does it, Sir Ralph? Fully?

I installed the release version of C3C and cannot find a PTW executable anywhere except where PTW was originally installed. So then, Someone would be unable to fill a seat in a PTW PBEM.

However, the content is fully included, so...

If you buy Civ3 Gold, that does include PTW for sure. Not much difference, it's just one of 3 available Civ3 releases, so you have to make sure.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Which software to buy?

Originally posted by busterchaplin

I'm just wondering what software one needs to be fully up-to-date with Civ3. Does C3C have PtW built in? If it does, do I just need to buy the regular Civ3 (not GotY or Gold) and C3C, then patch it to cover everything?

Thank you.
        hi ,

buy CIV III GOLD and CIV III CONQUESTS

this way you have all you need

and since a lot of store give a reduction if you buy for over 50 usd , .....

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I think nye is correct, and thus, if you want to play in a PTW PBEM (such as the 3 main demogames being played here at 'poly), follow Panag's suggestion.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

In other words, they delivered on letter, not on eugh content.
            Hum. No, that's not quite correct.
            Can anyone formulate this correctly for me please.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              Does it, Sir Ralph? Fully?

I installed the release version of C3C and cannot find a PTW executable anywhere except where PTW was originally installed. So then, Someone would be unable to fill a seat in a PTW PBEM.

If you buy Civ3 Gold, that does include PTW for sure. Not much difference, it's just one of 3 available Civ3 releases, so you have to make sure.
              Installing Conquests does install PTW, including an executable file, on your computer. But if you already have PTW installed it won't install it again.

Purchasing Conquests will give you a completely playable version of PTW that can be used for PTW PBEM's, Multiplayer, or Single Player.

Comment

Thanks.

That should pull a few doubters over the line.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Great! That's interesting that Civ3 Gold and C3C overlap like that, because on Amazon.com:

Basic Civ3 ($14.88) + C3C ($24.99) = $39.87
                  while
                  Civ3 Gold = $39.99

Getting basic Civ3 and C3C is fine for me. Are there any great perks to buying Civ3 Gold, or is it just milking the series for what it's worth?

Comment

hah.. any discounts for those of us that bought all 3 seperately?

Comment

Originally posted by PeaSoup
                      hah.. any discounts for those of us that bought all 3 seperately?

No, but we did not have to wait either. The gold version is to get the original game on the shelves in some stores that no longer carry it. Otherwise some people could not buy C3C as they have no access to the original version. Now they will have, hopefully.

Comment

Re: Which software to buy?

Originally posted by busterchaplin

Thank you.
                        An old school CIV2 player? Do you realize what you have been missing?? Get out there and get this game now! You will love it! CIV3 is the best thing ever to happen to the CIV series Anyway, go ahead and buy CIV3 Gold and then get C3C. Do be advised that C3C includes PtW and it clearly shows that it does on the box. So if you can find original CIV3 for cheaper then the gold edition, get the original instead and get C3C. Either way you will have everything that was released for the game.
                        -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Which is, IMO a surprising yet very good move, including effectively both expansions in the latest one.

One question - if you have PtW (separately bought) and install Conquests, if you want to play PtW or Civ3 Vanilla by starting their.exe files, will you be prompted for that individual CD or always just the latest one (ie Conquests(?

For example: I have all three installed, yet each has a separate directory and .exe file. I start Civ3 vanilla, hoping to play by the old rules (don't ask me why ) by starting "civilization3.exe". WIll I be prompted for the Conquests CD or the original Civ3 one?
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I have not tried it, but I suspect that you will need the original CD in to use the original exe. The C3C Cd should work for either PTW or C3C exe. Any should allow play of an original save from CivIII.
                            I use a virtual CD so I mount the one that matches the one I execute.

Comment

Working...
                            X