Colony Exploit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colony Exploit

Ok I was just playing a game and I was wondering this. Lets say you had a colony of gems. And you made a trade with Egypt for 20 GPT. One turn later you loose the colony. My questions is, does the player still get the 20 GPT from Egypt and does Egypt still get the gems?

AFAIK it is nope and you get rep hit.

Comment

Yeah its like you purposely broke the deal even though it might have been beyond your control.

Comment

wow, i got civ 3 when it first came out and i do not think that i have built a colony even once

Comment

If you have two sources of gems, and lose one, then the trade stays active.

This happened to me in one of my first games ever. I had been trading iron to Egypt, and one of my sources ran dry. I couldn't build anymore tanks and could NOT figure out why since I could SEE the iron. Then one turn Egypt called up to strike another iron deal and I kicked myself.

But if you loose your only source, then yeah, you might as well have done it on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by zorbop
            wow, i got civ 3 when it first came out and i do not think that i have built a colony even once
            Sometimes it's useful to build a colony, if you are still away with settlers and the only workers that you have in the area are slaves.

Comment

I can't imagine wasting a worker for a lux that I already have, that is why I did not mention the fact that if you still have some, it will not be an issue.

There are a few situations where I may make a colony, but I can't remember the last time I did it. If the item is close enough for a worker to get there, it is close enough to bring under my borderrs soon. I do not want to loose a worker.

Comment

BTW just so everyone knows, I was playing a OCC.

Comment

I dont use them very often and find it frustrating that an AI can steal your colony just by placing a city next to it. Worse still is that he also gets a free road shipping it straight into his new city.

Of course I love it when I steal one of their colonies in the same way but I think this is too easy and maybe their should be possible diplomatic tensions associated with this.

If the colony is lost to cultural expansion then I guess thats just tough but for building a city right next to someones colony you should be taking a potential risk.

Would it be possible for the colony to hold out for X turns while negotiations take place, more likely Civ4 stuff this.

Conclusion : colonies at present are weak and rarely if ever worth the worker. At present
                  A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

yes, colonies are useless most of the time, there should be some sort of diplomatic negotiation when an AI builds a city next to my colony. maybe some money they would have to pay me in order to take control of that resource, or we could share that resource for X number of turns.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Or maybe you could maintain a colony as long as you have a unit guarding it. That would be cool and realistic, I think.

Comment

Except when you are playing OCC

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
                          Except when you are playing OCC
                          Yes there are always exceptions, that's what makes a general rule, otherwise it is absolute.

Comment

A bit off topic I know, but would somebody explain to me why you would play OCC? I've never tried, but it seems rather pointless to me. What am I missing?
                            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

If you think it's hard trying to win with a whole civ of cities, trying OCC is a real challenge! I have never tried it, but I can see why you would want to - bragging rights, if nothing else.
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X