Creating Great Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Great Leaders

I AM PLAYING CIV 3-STANDARD WORLD-ROAMING BARBS-ON MONARCH FOR THE FIRST TIME--MY QUESTION IS IF ANYONE HAS GONE AS LONG AS 30 ELITE VICTORIES FROM THE START OF THE GAME WITHOUT CREATING ANY GL'S--I AM AT 32 RIGHT NOW--COULD I GET 2 OR 3 IN A ROW?--PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF OTHERS HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS-THANKS

I went several games before getting my first GL.

Then I got three in one turn. So you never know.

Resisting the temptation of posting a link to fanes7's thread in the Strategy forum....
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

thats the unfortunate part of randomness, can sometimes be too random an event to actually have any abiltiy to count on one appearing. in some games i seem to get one two, in others i have upto 10 or more.

I would prefer the whole combat and GL randomness removed or at least improved, but not being a preogrammer i not sure how easy that would be
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Yes, that is easy to do. I have never counted them, but I have had several games go to within 5-10 turns of ending before I got a leader. I was tempted to let them die, since they we of no use at that point.

Comment

Not sure if you know this, but you can't get a GL from barb killing.

Like the others have said its so random. Some games they are rare until I get cavalry, but that is probably due to my play style more htan anything else, build build build, kill kill kill. Also rapid moving attacks create less for me because my horses are moving to the next target while the elites are usually healing. My current game with the Chinese has probably generated 5-6 leaders with riders alone.

Comment

If you play until MA, they are the real leader generators as they can attack again and again.
            I have always felt that 5-6 is par for a standard map in my games.

Comment

I've often had streaks of 3-4 games without a GL and others where I get one right after cashing in the last one. It evens out in the long run.
              Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

and of course you can only have one GL at a time, you hav eto use it to eithr rush build or make army before getting another one.
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                  and of course you can only have one GL at a time, you hav eto use it to eithr rush build or make army before getting another one.
                  Just what I wanted to write-

" Then I got three in one turn. "

you've got to realize that's impossible unless you manage to create an army/rush building immediately upon getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                    build build build, kill kill kill.
                    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy

Just what I wanted to write-

" Then I got three in one turn. "

you've got to realize that's impossible unless you manage to create an army/rush building immediately upon getting one.
                      I've gotten three or more in one turn as well - by doing precisely what you mentioned: using up the leaders immediately. This tends to be late in the game, so I'll end up using them on things like Airports or Cathedrals or some other relatively expensive improvement for 1-shield cities overseas.

I did, however, once get 2 leaders in the same turn in the medieval age in back-to-back combats which netted me two wonders instantly (I think it was Sun Tzu & Leo's). I had fun with Riders in that game.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

There's probably nothing more frustrating than unsuccesful leader farming. In one game as the Celts with a hero epic I had 32 elite victories in a row (after I started counting) with no leader. Not too unlikely but still extremely frustrating when you don't have any wonder pre-builds.

I came very close to quiting and uninstalling the game, then perhaps burying the CD in the garden.

I have uninstalled the game once in one fit of rage
                        Are we having fun yet?

Comment

I got 2 GLs in one turn in a sim moves MP game. Only time its ever happened.
                          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Yeah, few things are more frustrating than going out of your way seeking leaders and hitting a run of bad luck.

OPD - I once had a very similar experience with the Celts. I turned an early leader into an army (dumbass, never doing that again - Pyramids always better!) and then went on to clear out my continent (destroying 3 civs) and despite milking those wars for all they were worth, I managed to finally get 1 leader as I destroyed the last civ. By that point, the other continent had been busily building, and I lost the "big three" early medieval wonders. That pissed me off.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I once had 8 leaders in one turn! Taking out a civ of 50 cities that lacks rubber with 200 tanks (most with previous promotions) will do that. Once tanks and MA come into the battle leaders are not really hard to get, of course they also are not really needed by the time you get them (unless you are going for a spaceship victory)
                              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                              X