Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Vanilla????

Just a quick question

Can anyone tell me why the original Civ 3 game is reffered to as "the vanilla game" or "vanilla civ3" etc. I don't get it.

Vanilla refers to "plain" or "common" or "simple" or "standard" in Anglish (American English).

Its derivative of Vanilla being the simple or easiest flavor, ie Vanilla Ice Cream.

Comment

why thank you...i not only learned what vanilla means but a whole new word.."ANGLISH" american english...and i thought youguys couldnt do anymore damage to our language...now i discover youve renamed it and claimed it as youre own.

Comment

Its the finest of the flavas

Comment

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Not French Vanilla?

Comment

That's "Freedom Vanilla"
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Damn these one smiley posts

Comment

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                      That's "Freedom Vanilla"
                      You got that right.

Silly "pre-colonials" and their so called English Ka-niggets.......

Comment

Originally posted by jackl
                        ...and i thought youguys couldnt do anymore damage to our language...now i discover youve renamed it and claimed it as youre own.
                        If you think it's bad what the Americans did to your language, you should hear what the Dutch did to ours... ummm, or the Swiss, Austrians, Bavarians, Saxonians and "Fish heads".

Comment

Sir Ralph....What language you speakin??? Last time I was in holland i never heard no one speaking Mauritian (is that what you speak in Mauritius?)? And whos a Fish head...you got my mind set a reeling???
                          Last edited by jackl; October 17, 2003, 05:50.

Comment

Well, my language is German. Don't look at the flags here, they say nothing. And "Fish heads" is a slightly snide name of northerners (living near the coast) given them by the southerners (living near the mountains), who are called "Canyon yodelers" in return. We all love each other here.

Comment

Ahh i see...I got one for you then. A good friend of mine from Gutterslough near Frankfurt sent me this joke last week.

Euro-English Instead of German

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.
                              As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as Euro-English (Euro for short). In the first year, 's' will be used instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard 'c' will be replaced with 'k.' Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.
                              There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced by 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20 per sent shorter.
                              In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.
                              By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'W' by 'V'. During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors; be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
                              After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

Comment

Working...
                              X