ruins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruins?

i am editing a map and see a selection for ruins. What exactly does a ruin do? Can you rebuild the lost city with a worker? Or get extra bonus for building there or moving to that location? I know ruins are destroyed cities/towns, but do they serve any purpose? Or are they just ruins and have no purpose? The square they are on does it give extra resource or less?

thanks
    Kronos

I looked in manual and have not seen anything on ruins, so im lost.

They don't do anything. They are there to show where destroyed cities used to be.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Ruins are just a cosmetic.

Comment

They're strictly eye candy and they'll disappear as soon as one of your Workers makes any kind of improvement on the square.

Comment

Though, if there's a ruin, there's a road. Once the ruin is irrigated (or mined), a road runs through it. But that's about it.

Comment

Yep, basically ruins offer a free roaded tile. I still think that they could make the ruins look more like ruins and not just a pile of rubble.

Comment

Check the download section, there's a nice little ruins mod there. It's basically the same ruins except the rubble are cleared away, sold as souvenirs I guess....

Edit: Wittlich, the ruins gives no free roads, the road is leftovers from the destroyed city.

Double edit: Oh God, what's happening to me? Am I becoming an anal retentive nitpicker?!? Sorry Wittlich.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

No problem Bongo, I understand what you mean.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Don't ruins also offer some defensive bonus? ISTR there being a 25% bonus for ruins, although I could be wrong. That's a slight effect on game play.

Comment

I haven't noticed any sort of defensive bonus with ruins, but it does make sense that ruins should offer some type of added defensive bonus (small as it might be).
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

If you're figthing a WW2-style defensive war then ruins are the perfect hiding place for infantry(in RL that is). I haven't heard of any defensive bonus in civ3 though.
                      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                        Check the download section, there's a nice little ruins mod there.
                        Can't find it. Link? Please?

Edit: Never mind....

Last edited by Stuie; October 14, 2003, 11:01.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                          I still think that they could make the ruins look more like ruins and not just a pile of rubble.
                          Yeah, I cleaned up the ruin graphic and posted it somewhere, I should have a new one soon that just has skulls and impaled bodies..................

Comment

bongo and Stuie, thank you veddy much! That ruins graphic replacement is great!

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yeah, I cleaned up the ruin graphic and posted it somewhere, I should have a new one soon that just has skulls and impaled bodies..................
                              Geez, you aren't morbid are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X