No announcement yet.

The Stories page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to agree, definitely one not to miss.

I see no more takers for the survey, oh well I must have been right, everyone is to busy *sigh*
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
      I see no more takers for the survey, oh well I must have been right, everyone is to busy.
      Pfft. Put on your optimist's hat. There's been a bit of increase in the activity over at the stories forum, so I bet this thread has played a role. Just that people still didn't listen to me and prefer to lurk rather than respond.
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

Yes, the ol' lurking routine...

Max and Laramie would be very proud of them

Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

I'm a lurker....

My favorite story that I've read was Chingis Khan's The Culture Flip. I really enjoyed that...even voted for it!

Time is a factor, but I would recommend that folks read at least one story every so often. A good story really makes future playing of Civ more enjoyable.
          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
            I would have to agree, definitely one not to miss.

I see no more takers for the survey, oh well I must have been right, everyone is to busy *sigh*
            Perhaps a thread in the Off Topic would inspire some to remember why they came to this site in the first place. Reading one of the stories is just the thing to get you fired up and ready for Conquests
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Hmmm yes good suggestion Plato, I might just do that but the only thing is that I see a few problems, ie: how quickly some subjects get buried there, How the hate civ3 group will try to tear it apart and possibly spot an opportunity to spam away in the stories forum. Hmmm Im not sure really what do others think ?
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                Time is a factor, but I would recommend that folks read at least one story every so often. A good story really makes future playing of Civ more enjoyable.
                Well, I keep saying this, but I'll say again: while it is true, that time is a factor, how long does posting a short response to a story really take? A word or two of encouragement mean a lot to every writer, but take only a couple seconds to post. So, I second Shogun Gunner's encouragement to read the stories, and would like to add: ... and comment. Thanks!
                Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                  Perhaps a thread in the Off Topic would inspire some to remember why they came to this site in the first place.
                  That may be a good idea, but I kind of doubt it. If it produces any effect whatsoever, chances are, it won't be what we desire. There are really two types of people over in OT:

1. Those that stay in OT and don't visit any of the other forums often. They are quite unlikely to visit the stories forums, IMO.

2. Those that are after the post counts. You see them posting a lot in the Community forums, for instance. Now, we know that a lot of them already check other forums for a +1 opportunity or two. In fact, I can quote one instance, where a farily upleasant quarrel unrolled over at the Stories forum, right after the NESes were moved over to "Diplomacy". Literally, a few hours after the flaming started, the vultures from the OT descended and put quite a bit of fuel into the fire. That just goes to show, that such people that are likely to follow the link to the other forum, do already check out the non-OT forums, in search of a +1 opportunity, but couldn't be bothered to contribute anything meaningful. (In fact, I bet I know who will respond to this within the next 24 hours saying he is not really an OT vultur. )

So, taking those two points into consideration, I guess it might be worth it to post an announcement in the OT.

On the other hand, it seems that since the Stories forums have been a particularly peaceful place so far, it might be hard to incite a flame war over there (this is NOT a challenge ) and thus the spammers attracted through a post in the OT would sort of loose their interest shortly, and only those that might actually be interested in the stories would stay. So, then, it might, after all be worth it to post an announcement there...

I don't know. Just some things to keep in mind. What I'd do, though is, I'd wait till we have enough stories for another competition (and I hope Dark Cloud finally posts that nominations thread!), and then make a news item and post in the "Community" forum about the competition and the stories forums in general. Then, if that goes well, announce the next competition over at the OT.
                  Spore page

Comment

I think I will wait for a while before posting in th OT and see what happens when coquests comes out, there have been a lot of games come out this year that may have dragged people away from civ, but I think conquests will bring them all back.

If anybody is interested I have just updated "The Fight For Freedom" over in the stories forum

Comment

Fear not about posting in the O/T. The attention span there is generally pretty low. Sure, there would be an initial spam attack, but that would fade quickly. The attention to the forum just might bring some new blood into an excellent place.

That being said, I think that it is an excellent idea to start with posting an announcement in the Community Forum just to gage reaction.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The stories forum is ace.

"Feed back is great and makes people WANT to write more. So people..lets leave feedback...good, bad or indifferent...it means youre reading and it means a lot to a writer."

Chrisius maximus, Plato and all others i just gotta say thanx....you've made my day.

Comment

Well deserved praise, jackl. Really looking forward to your next effort. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Chrisius and others, I've got to say thanks, too. I've just started my first story, and will probably finish and post it tonight.

I've always loved reading the story, and trying to put the events in game terms (in addition to just enjoying the story for itself). One thing that's always fascinated me is how the most minute game event can be turned into a riveting story. I forget the name, but I read one that dealt with just staying out of a war (Americans, Confederates, Germans and others involved and Cordell Hull as Confederate Sec. State, IIRC). It was a very good story, and I was doubly floored when I stepped back, put it into game perspective and realized... this story's about a non-event. Excellent.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Ive read your story Solomwi and I must congratulate you on a job well done

All you poly civ3 fans reading this should get on over to the stories page you dont know what youre missing.

Comment

Been a while since the last bump, no?

Just wanted to point out that there's been a surge of activity over at the Stories forums, so a huge thanks to all of you who have already visited - we hope to see more of you ( ) - and to those of you who are still thinking: make sure to stop by. The stories are great! Also, the new nomintaions thread is now open so go check out the truly strong competition this round.
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X