Stronger Barbarians.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronger Barbarians.

In Civ II Barbarians can take cities and their units advance technologically from simple archers to moderner partisans.

In Civ III, barbarians cannot take cities but they are specially destructive. The barbarian hordes are extremely numerous and more intelligent than ever, but they don't evolve technologically, the last unit they can get is the horseman, and they dissapear early in the game.

Is there any possibility to improve the barbarians with the editor?

e.g.

Warriors, horsemen and trirremes for the Ancient Times.

Medieval infantry, knights, carabels for the Middle Ages, musketman and Privateers too.

Riflemen, Chivalry and Galleons for the Industrial times.

Guerrilla and transports for the Contemporary Era.
    «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

No, it is not possible to have barbarians improve over time in Civ III or PTW.

You can set two types of barbarian land units in the general screen in the editor but that is it for the entire game.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

They disapear if there is not unviewed land. If late in the game you raze a civ and do not build towns in their place you will soon have barbs again. It is very funny to see warriors running around when you have MA.

Comment

Ooh, what a pitty, ...

In fact I consider that in Colonization, barbarians / indian tribes, had evolved considerably because you could trade with them, get "workers", and even instigate them against another civilization.
        «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
          You can set two types of barbarian land units in the general screen in the editor but that is it for the entire game.
          You can also set units as availabe to barbarians in the same screen as you set UUs etc IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect

You can also set units as availabe to barbarians in the same screen as you set UUs etc IIRC
            If you decide to use units other than warriors, horsemen and galleys for the barbarians then first you will need to go to the unit section of the editor and set the units you want as available to the barbarians. Then go to the general section and change the basic/advanced/naval barbarian units.

If you do not do both of these steps then you won't get the barbarians you want.

I am actually involved in a PBEM game with Immortals and Keshiks as the barbarian units. Great fun! It raises the tension about opening a goody hut to a new level!

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

If you decide to use units other than warriors, horsemen and galleys for the barbarians then first you will need to go to the unit section of the editor and set the units you want as available to the barbarians. Then go to the general section and change the basic/advanced/naval barbarian units.

If you do not do both of these steps then you won't get the barbarians you want.

I am actually involved in a PBEM game with Immortals and Keshiks as the barbarian units. Great fun! It raises the tension about opening a goody hut to a new level!
              how advanced have you had the barbarians then?
              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

And, what would happen if I set some more units available for Barbarians in the units editor and I keep the trirreme-warrior-horseman in the general settings.

Comment

You get what you set in the general settings and that's all.

You can substitute other units for the warrior/horseman/galley but you will only get what is specified in the general screen.

The reason for making other units available to the barbarians is that if you set archers, for example, as the basic barbarian unit instead of warriors but don't make the archer unit available to the barbarians then no basic barbarians appear, only horsemen as advanced barbarians.

Comment

hi ,

they should undo the so called fix in the patch inwhere barbs could no longer get hitpounts , .......

and they should stay in the game all the time , look around in todays world , plenty of barbs there , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                      hi ,

they should undo the so called fix in the patch inwhere barbs could no longer get hitpounts , .......

and they should stay in the game all the time , look around in todays world , plenty of barbs there , .....

have a nice day
                      yeah, I agree...

It is a shame that they dissapear in the game....

maybe the designers feel that we just evolve like that... Maybe I should send them a link to the CNN web site.
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

There's still barbarians in the later game. It's only that eventually euphemism is invented, and they're refered to as "AI civs".
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          There's still barbarians in the later game. It's only that eventually euphemism is invented, and they're refered to as "AI civs".
                          Thats funny,
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Re: Stronger Barbarians.

Originally posted by Kramsib
                            In Civ III, barbarians cannot take cities but they are specially destructive. The barbarian hordes are extremely numerous and more intelligent than ever
                            The barbarian hordes are the stupidest units in the game. They are even more stupid than the barbarians in civ 2. They head relentlessly for the nearest city, so you can easily predict their movement. Personally, I like the most the report of massive barbarian uprising near XXX city. I remove all units from that city, spend all of my money on techs (buy them from the AI) and watch with pleasure the stupid barbarian horsemen charge past my other units and attack an empty city taking 0-1 gold.

Comment

Re: Re: Stronger Barbarians.

Originally posted by ljcvetko

The barbarian hordes are the stupidest units in the game. They are even more stupid than the barbarians in civ 2. They head relentlessly for the nearest city, so you can easily predict their movement. Personally, I like the most the report of massive barbarian uprising near XXX city. I remove all units from that city, spend all of my money on techs (buy them from the AI) and watch with pleasure the stupid barbarian horsemen charge past my other units and attack an empty city taking 0-1 gold.
                              Try PTW with the 1.27 patch. The barbarians are much improved (or at least more random).

Comment

Working...
                              X