Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting Cruise Missiles.

"How can I transport my Cruise Missiles?"

A member of the Spanish Forum has a problem, he is controlling two continents in his game and he needs transporting some Cruise Missiles from one to the other.

In Civ II, both carriers and submarines could transport Cruise Missiles, but now, in Civ III, submarines only transport Nukes and Carriers only transport air units.

Transports (the units) cannot transport missiles. He has also tried using the airports but he got no possitive results.

Is there any other way to transport cruise missiles?, Can the editor solve this problem? If it can, how?.

Can you help us?

Thank you.
    «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

You can only alter this in the editor.

The problem with putting cruise missiles in subs or transports is that the AI apparently doesn't do this and doesn't launch them from transports either. So it is a possible exploit for the player. If you want to do this just tick the cruise missile as "load" in the editor.

I solved this problem by editing cruise missiles so they can be airlifted. That allows less of an advantage to the human player but the AI still doesn't do this AFAIK. In fact I find the AI seems not to move cruise missiles outside the city in which they are built.

Remember that if you change something in the editor it won't affect a current game, only new games started after you make the change.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Thank you very much Cerberus, I have just made a test and it works!!! .

Now I am interested in making the submarines (not the nuclear ones) able to transport missiles like in Civ II, I have transformed them in "naval transports" but I cannot load any missil in my test. But I can load Cruise Missiles in my transports and even in a galleon.
      «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

I have moved large numbers of cruise missiles in transports in some of my past games. Are you saying Firaxis have removed this ability because their programming abilities aren't up to scratch? That is truly, truly terrible. Cruise missiles should be able to be carried on and launched from battleships, destroyers and transports. And why you can't drop nukes from bombers is beyond me.

But I guess if you're too lazy to do some proper coding ....

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I have moved cruise missiles in transports....but I haven't built a CM since PTW came so my memory may be a bit foggy.

Many things have been left out cause they would 'unbalance' the game. Many of these things can be put right back with the editor but there have been many arguments here wether it's lack of programming skill or a desire to make the game as good as possible that have caused firaxis to do what they have done.
          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

How I could make my submarines, battleships and destroyers able to carry cruise missiles?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kramsib
              How I could make my submarines, battleships and destroyers able to carry cruise missiles?

Thank you.
              There are two ways of doing this. The AI seems unable to use either.

One option is to flag cruise missiles as being tactical missiles (in the list of attributes in the lower left corner of the unit screen in the editor) They can then be loaded into nuclear submarines just like tactical nuclear missiles can.

If you edit battleships (and other ships) to have a transport capacity and flag them as naval missile transports (in the same list of attributes) they can carry either cruise or tactical nuclear missiles, but nothing else.

The other option is to remove the missile transport flag from nuclear submarines and give battleships a transport capacity. Then they will be able to carry any land unit (tanks, marines, etc.) including cruise and tac nuclear missiles.

The box for transport capacity is in amongst the movement and HP boxes on the upper right of the editor screen. As long as this is set to more than zero the unit (any ship) will be able to carry cruise missiles once the load box is ticked for the cruise missile itself.

Comment

If I flag cruise missiles as tactical missiles, will they act like nuclear weapons?

Comment

Transports (the units) cannot transport missiles. He has also tried using the airports but he got no possitive results.

Put transport next to shore. MOVE cruise missiles to transport.
                  You cannot use the (L)oad command with a transport in port.

Comment

If I flag cruise missiles as tactical missiles, will they act like nuclear weapons?
                    Unfortunately not. If you want nuclear missiles they require a lot more shields to build.

Comment

Will they act diplomatically like nukes?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        Will they act diplomatically like nukes?
                        That's an interesting question.

I suppose you mean the AI will consider edited cruise missiles as nukes, don't you?

Does someone know the answer?.

Comment

I suppose you mean the AI will consider edited cruise missiles as nukes, don't you?

The AI will not consider a CM flagged as a tactical missle as a Nuke. There is a separate flag for Nuclear weapons in the unit ability list. A unit must be flagged as a Nuke to be used or regarded as such.
                          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

There used to be an bug for loading cruise missiles into transports in an unmodded game. You can't do it using the (L)oad command in a city, but you can move the CM into a transport from the shore using the direction keys (obviously the transport can't be in a city for this to work). I don't actually know if it was fixed in one of the recent patches though.

Comment

No, because ICBM's aren't tactical missiles. It depends on the "nuclear weapon" flag.

Comment

Working...
                              X