Bombard anywhere bug still exists !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombard anywhere bug still exists !!!

I posted this over at civfanatics a few hours ago . I recently discovered this bug in a game when I was using artillery . I thought that the bug had been patched , but even PTW 1.27f has it , in a modified form . I thought there was no harm in trying the old exploit , as it had been patched . The following are my findings .

The old bombard anywhere consisted of selecting an artillery unit , and pressing and holding down the B key while you moved the crosshair around the map to select any target on the known world map .

The bug still exists , but in a different form . Now , you just have to select an artillery unit , and press the b key once . Now , when the grid of squares to attack appears , take your mouse to a valid firing location on the grid . The crosshairs should now appear . After they have appeared , press the b key , and this time , keep it pressed . The crosshairs will not disappear even if you move the mouse out of the grid of redlined squares . With the b key pressed , you can ,as before , take the mouse anywhere on the map , and bombard any location you so choose .

Opinions ? I'd have thought that such an obvious thing would not have been missed by the programmers .
    Last edited by aneeshm; August 26, 2003, 10:54.

If you have to make en effort for it to happen I see no problem. It doesn't sound like you could accidently do it.

Comment

What about things like CFC's GOTM?

btw, I don't think it's obvious.

Comment

What's GOTM?

Comment

Game of the month.

Comment

I don't really give any importance to that bug, since I never cheat. But it's true it should be corrected when C3C or the next patch comes out, because it can be a problem in competitive environments.

Aneeshm, maybe you should write an e-mail to Firaxis talking about this bug
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Pls send it to Firaxis, this should be fixed in a patch. You shouldn't have to buy a new expansion to get such bugs fixed!
              Imagine people using this in multiplayer, it would be unfair.
              Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Yes, but it would be very entertaining.

Comment

To whom or where do you send the complaint ? I imagine it works in multiplayer too , as the basic programming must be the same . I'll try to test it in hotseat , as I don't have the time to play sessions of Civ3 online .

Comment

It probably does work with MP

For your photo needs:
                    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I doubt it. Just checked. Did not work against units. Cats seemed to fire against terrain, but did not seem to effect anything.

I would like to see an effect before I agreed this is serious.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

How would you like tho have all your strategic and luxury resources taken out on the first turn of a war (in the modern ages) , and half of your key cities and adjoining terrain starving , in disorder , and having most of their improvements destroyed ? And that too from someone on another island you have no hope of attacking in the next ten turns ?

Comment

If someone did do this in a MP game, wouldn't it be glaringly obvious since you would know if there were any enemy units in range for the attack?

meaning, it doesn't seem to be a cheat that would be very disputable, hence you could just disqualify the player...

although that would be annoying.
                          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I remember trying this in an SP game when the bug was first discovered. It was fun for a few 'super cannon' shots but then it became boring. It was just too effective. As others have said if you're playing MP and road networks start dissappearing you know you're playing with a cheater.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

At least we were promised that C3C will be a polished product

Comment

Working...
                              X