Revolts, Independences and Civil Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiffor

a martial law command could be used to restore order, something akin to nerve stapling in SMAC but not the same since atrocities don't exist in Civ3...

possibly a city under martial law couldn't collect any taxes or science, it couldn't assimilate citizens, buildings wouldn't produce any culture, also curroption and waste would be higher, but each military unit would do double police duty for civs that had police units, and for civs that didn't it would give one or two units police ability

Comment

Again, smart suggestions Korn It really makes me hope a Firaxian reads that
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I like this idea. The should bring back civil wars.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          Civil wars can add new Civilizations midgame, if the rebels are indeed a new Civilization. The emergence of new Civilizations would be refreshing for the game and, I think, fun. It would add some surprise, and hence some extra excitement. And we all want a game to be exciting right ?
          I think newly created civs would be too weak to have a chanse to win the game or even to influince it a lot, unless coming to the game early.
          In the industrial age for example, would can a 4-city rebel country do when stuck between two 25-city civs?

Comment

Originally posted by SIV
            In the industrial age for example, would can a 4-city rebel country do when stuck between two 25-city civs?
            That's precisely why I think an independentist party should have a military to begin with (and conquer its targeted cities), rather than just having a few simultaneous culture flips.
            With enough army + a good technology (the tech from the "oppressing" Civ), a small Civilization can play a role, even though it has little chance of being huge. Besides, the civil war will most likely happen at a time when the oppressing Civ is in trouble ; that could motivate the independentist Civ to start a very normal war after the end of the independence war.
            Or it could bully an even weaker Civ. Or join a grand coalition if one is occuring. Small Civs can do things in Civ3. Especially if there are many of them, they have their own playground.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor - I wholeheartedly agree with the idea and the thoughts you put into it. I'd like to see it as well.
              The rebel territory should be able to start at the tech level of its parent and seize (most of) whatever assets are in its territory (units and workers). That would give it a fair chance without being too powerful. A civil war would be more of a challenge.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
              X