upgrade units in an army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade units in an army?

How do i upgrade my units inside an army. The usual U or shift-U don't work. And how do I unload units from an army
    Oh no.... not THAT again

AFAIK, neither can be done.

Comment

No can do. No upgrades if in an army. Can't unload either. Well there was a hole for a time, but it was closed. I forget the patch that fix the ability to unload.

Comment

One of Civ3's least sensible 'gameplay' decisions, IMHO. I once made some armies that had three marines and an infantry each, only to realize that the inclusion of the infantry also makes the army unable to carry out amphibious assaults. As for not being able to upgrade units in armies, well - that is complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Armies can upgrade themselves through victory in battle. Not much, but it helps.
          Uh... You gotta have the right tool for the job Beavis.

Comment

Originally posted by cnich29
            Armies can upgrade themselves through victory in battle. Not much, but it helps.
            I believe the original poster was talking about the upgrade paths (for example: swordsmen to mounted infantry). Using the upgrade paths is what can't be done. Once you stick a few swordsmen into an army those are what will be in that army for the rest of it's life (barring adding an extra unit with the Pentagon). The swordsmen in that army can't be upgraded to mounted infantry.

Comment

What happens if you give them the ability to unload in the editor?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                What happens if you give them the ability to unload in the editor?
                I tried that a while back and it didn't work. Maybe I just did it wrong though.

Comment

I don't think it can be done.... dunno why though... creativity and a bit of intelligence as always lacking in people who can only think in terms of 0s and 1s... don't even bother using armies anymore... useless utterly useless
                  Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                  So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                  rocking on everest

Comment

They can get promotions, not upgrades. The reason it was done this was was it had been determined to be unbalancing. Making Armies too powerful. When you get to the limit for armies, I will scrap the obsolete ones to build a new one.

Comment

If you have armies and build the Military Academy, you can then add a 4th unit to each army you have. That is as close as you can get to changing an army.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

No, adding a fourth unit in an army can be done after you build the pentagon small wonder(which comes available when you have 4 or more armies). Military Academy allows you to build armies in a city without using a leader.

Armies are not useless at all. Actually they are very strong, so strong that allowing you to upgrade or remove units was deemed overpowering.
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I dunno how you use armies but wasting great leaders on them is a waste... but you need to waste one to get those small wonders... furterh thier use as an offensive unit is non existent... an army of tanks or three tanks? I'd go for 3 tanks for the extra mobility and the increase in the number of times I can attack... bloody army allows you one attack. Best use of an army would be in defence... but then again... a defensive army of spearmen ain't gona help much when you're up against even cavalary...
                          Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                          So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                          rocking on everest

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator
                            I dunno how you use armies but wasting great leaders on them is a waste... but you need to waste one to get those small wonders... furterh thier use as an offensive unit is non existent... an army of tanks or three tanks? I'd go for 3 tanks for the extra mobility and the increase in the number of times I can attack... bloody army allows you one attack. Best use of an army would be in defence... but then again... a defensive army of spearmen ain't gona help much when you're up against even cavalary...
                            Well actually I have used an army with only 1 move units to bust a city many times. They work very well early in the game. They can quell cities all through the game. Late, with RR I send them to sit on newly captured metros. No flips. Drop one or two old Calv armies in with them and the AI wil rarely even counter attack them and the city is not going to flip.
                            I am not sure what all the fuss is about wonders. At emperor, I will get my one or two ancient ones and when I get to industrial age, I will likely get all of them or most anyway. I will not need leaders to rush wonder after steam very often. I will do it at times, but I can build them faster than the AI.
                            As to tank or any mobile units in armies they have the same movement as they did when not in an army as long as all are the same type. Armies of calv can make multiple attacks.
                            The AI is not going to be attacking that army of spearmen with a calv unit. I won't say never, but I have yet to see it. They are afraid of armies of any type, at any time.
                            I tell you this if you send three tanks to attack a metro with even a mech infantry unit in it, you stand a good chance of losing three tanks. If I attack it with an tank army, I will probably kill that unit.

Comment

Can't be done.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X