Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing to a cultural victory

Hi,

I’m a little confused. I just lost to a cultural victory. I was definitely loosing the game. I was trying to do some spying and after 2-3 of my spies got caught the game suddenly informed me that I lost to a cultural victory. Nothing seemed to happen before this. I did not loose cities to the culture of other civs which is what I would have expected. Can anybody give me some pointers on how a cultural victory works? I read the manual but it seems light in this area. It was the fist time I played a game all the way to the end and I had been emphasizing my culture as a way to stay in the game.

Thanks

A cultural victory occurs IIRC when one civ accumulates over 100,000 culture points or one city over 20,000 culture and that civs culture is twice its nearest rival.

One of the AI civs must have been way ahead on total culture or had a city with several GW's and all the cultural improvements.

Religious and scientific civs tend to be strongest on culture because of the cheap city improvements they get.

You probably need to focus on having a reasonably large civ with culture producing improvements in your core cities.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Thanks

Does the manual talk about points needed for cultural victory anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
        A cultural victory occurs IIRC when one civ accumulates over 100,000 culture points or one city over 20,000 culture and that civs culture is twice its nearest rival.
        actually, you only need to have twice as much culture as the nearest rival for the 100,000 culture victory.

the manual does talk about cultural victory, but not in detail. the civilopedia might though.

Comment

the manual is useless.. I suggest you read the strategy section of the apolytion sige
          Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
          So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
          rocking on everest

Comment

I'll second the useless vote on the manual. It is quite obvious that they just took the old CivII manual and made the minimum number of changes they could get away with.

Comment

Well maybe not useless, but certainly not worth much.
              The strat guide stinks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                Well maybe not useless, but certainly not worth much.
                The strat guide stinks as well.

True, but with the complexities of this game I doubt any one person (or company) could have written a good one.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I believe the civilopedia does have the requirements under victory conditions.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                    True, but with the complexities of this game I doubt any one person (or company) could have written a good one.
                    So why did Prima bother? Oh, to make money.

They have some fair to good strategy guides on linear based games, but for something as wide-ranging in it's options as Civ3 there is just no way. Look at the strategy and general forums. Civ3 has been out for a few years and people are still developing new and very valid strategies for the game.

Comment

Not to metion they game is not the same as the one released, let alone the one used for the guide. Many changes have been made to alter strategy. I stil would have liek to seen some real how the writer tried to win. Mostly it is just a bunch generalizations.

Comment

Working...
                      X