An AU idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominae

You cannot trigger a Golden Age by capturing a Wonder. However, Wonders you have captured count toward determining if you trigger a GA with the next Wonder you build.

So, for example, if you're playing the Persians and you capture the Pyramids (from, say, the Egyptians), then later decide to build the Theory of Evolution yourself, you would have to destroy the city in which the Pyramids resides (since Pyramids is Industrial and Theory of Evolution is Scientific). Disbanding or giving away a city is the only way of getting rid of a Wonder.
    OK, that's what I had assumed (I think I ever remember a thread here about this from a while back). The likely impact of this, in my view, is that players will be forced to either a) control their wonder building by not building wonders related to one of their civ traits and by not warmongering; b) to stop building wonders once they own a wonder for each civ trait ; or c) give away or disband cities with wonders. Would be interesting to see which choice people make, and makes my point that the game would be about setting priorities.
    They don't get no stranger.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Hmm...

I'd want to use a civ with traits that denied me the fewest important wonders...

I wonder... China? Avoid GW, Sun Tzu & Leos? If you're not going to go on a Rider blitz, Leos isn't all that important. Sun Tzu kinda hurts, but so be it. The GW is garbage.

This would allow me to build/capture most of the wonders I want, and have a civ with pretty strong traits to boot.

Trouble is, the more I think about it, the idea of avoiding wonders & a GA is probably more than I could bear. I see the educational value, sure, but I dunno if I'd have fun.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Could be very interesting having to refrain from controlling certain wonders.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Hmm...

I'd want to use a civ with traits that denied me the fewest important wonders...

I wonder... China? Avoid GW, Sun Tzu & Leos? If you're not going to go on a Rider blitz, Leos isn't all that important. Sun Tzu kinda hurts, but so be it. The GW is garbage.

This would allow me to build/capture most of the wonders I want, and have a civ with pretty strong traits to boot.
          But, if I'm not mistaken, you could build Leo's or Sun Tzu's, provided you did not also build HG, Pyramids or Hoover. You also could not build Manhattan. In my view, this raises the difficulty, but does not affect game play that much. Remember, you could still seize these wonders, provided you never again built ANY wonder.

Again, my view is that the biggest hurdle here would be the loss of unit and loss of the added productivity. For China, it means living with Horsemen (or resorting to Longbowman) as your primary attack option until you can get Cavalry. Doing so will prove very challenging, and may force certain warmongering types (not naming any names!) to adjust their strategy.

Trouble is, the more I think about it, the idea of avoiding wonders & a GA is probably more than I could bear. I see the educational value, sure, but I dunno if I'd have fun.
          Well, aren't we picky?! You think this GAME is about FUN?!!! But seriously, I think this would be challenging (though not nearly as hard as either the Eternal War Scenario or OCC) and fun. Obviously, others may have different opinions.
          They don't get no stranger.
          Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
          "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

I like it... I've played games where I've purposefully held off on my GA, of course (and thus denying the benefit of a decent UU, so that lesson I think has been learned), but even when I've had very late GAs I have definitely seen them as game breakers.

I'm with NM, however, this needs just a touch more, je ne sais quois...

Perhaps the Power of Money? Play commercial, no GA, but look for that power boost that comes from a) size, b) the Medieval and Industrial buildings, and finally c) those two on top of a properly developed early empire (roads, rivers, gold, etc.), and d) astute trading?

Played right, is that as powerful as a GA?

My answer is a resounding yes.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I've played games unintentionally missing the GA. Usually with the Egyptians, since I hate early golden ages. But there are many civs that can live without their UU. Anyone with swordsman UU, Egypt, England, France, America, Babylon, Korea and Scandinavia can all manage it without changing game style too much.

Comment

Greece?
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                  Could be very interesting having to refrain from controlling certain wonders.

Catt
                  Don't make this proposal to Arrian. He'd have a fit.

Yep, this would be interesting for a future AU game.
                  The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Working...
                  X