Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Literacy

Just a quick question:

How is the literacy calculated in the stats screen (F11)?

I have about 50 cities, most of which have a library and a university. Yet my literacy rate is only 51%!!!

What's the deal?

Does it have anything to do with newly conquered large cities that are lacking basic improvements?

If this has already been discussed a link to the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks...

I´m probably wrong but I always figured that the literacy had something to do with how far up the tech-tree I was... never bothered to think much abput it...
    You saw what you wanted
    You took what you saw
    We know how you did it
    Your method equals wipe out

Comment

(Citizens who live in a city with a Library + Citizens who live in a city with a University + Citizens who live in a city with a Research Lab) / 3 / (Total Number of Citizens) * 100% + (3% if Literature discovered)

The following wonders count as Library, University and Research Lab: Great Library, Newton's, SETI Program, Theory of Evolution, Cure for Cancer, Internet.
      Now, don't praise me, this is BigFurryMonster's formula

(In case you would ask, his formulas are based on comprehensive testing, so yes, it is probably correct)
      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

Great!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm going to have to check my game but based on these figures, I would expect my literacy to be much, much higher than 51%.

Also, maybe it's a dumb question but since I see the "Internet" listed in your reply, I'll take a shot. Does this equation apply to normal CivIII v1.29f as well as PTW???

Comment

Originally posted by fittstim
          Does this equation apply to normal CivIII v1.29f as well as PTW???
          It is the same for both.

Comment

ya it should... just don't include the wonders in PTW in civ III
            Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
            So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
            rocking on everest

Comment

(Citizens who live in a city with a Library + Citizens who live in a city with a University + Citizens who live in a city with a Research Lab) / 3 / (Total Number of Citizens) * 100% + (3% if Literature discovered)
              I'm glad there are people like BigFurry who work to figure this stuff out, because I know I couldn't do this sort of thing.

Comment

You can see information on all the demographics here

Comment

Actually, that CFC link is where I got most info from. Unfortunately, there are some annoying bugs in that article.

But this is helpful for your Q:

If every city has just a library you will have 33%, because they are missing the other 2 science buildings.
                  You may very well have Universities in about 50% of your cities.

There should be a thread in this Forum explaining all Demographics, but I can't seem to find it right now.

edit: here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=85301
                  Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
                    Actually, that CFC link is where I got most info from. Unfortunately, there are some annoying bugs in that article.

But this is helpful for your Q:

You may very well have Universities in about 50% of your cities.

There should be a thread in this Forum explaining all Demographics, but I can't seem to find it right now.

edit: here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=85301
                    hi ,

good link indeed , but indeed there are bugs when it comes to wonders and science , ...... especially if you build two or more in the same city , .....

there where a couple threads indeed but they are not updated in like a year or so , ...... to many things have been fixed or changed since then , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I doubt that the formula listed above is correct:

In the game I am playing I had a literacy rate of 77% (my highest rate ever!) before reaching the modern age. I believe that Research labs have no effect on the literacy rate (at least until the tech for them is discovered)
                      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Maybe you did have some scientific wonders in big cities?
                        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

Tiberius:

Yes I did have Scientific Wonders, but this would not have accounted for such a large discrepancy. My empire at the time was over 50 cities with Library/ Universities and another 10-20 with Libraries or no improvements. Even if I had all of the Scientific Wonders (which I did) and each in a separate city (which was not the case) it still would not account for a +8% above the maximum rate I could have possibly had if the above formula was correct.

P.S. Copernicus also functions as a library and university for the calculation of literacy.
                          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                          X