The formal names of the Celts and Ottomans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The formal names of the Celts and Ottomans

I think the formal names for those two civs should be different. I think that for the Ottomans the formal should be 'the Ottoman Empire'. Right now it's just 'Ottomans' I think. Which sounds more accurate: We have planted a spy in 'Ottomans' or We have planted a spy in 'the Ottoman Empire'?

And for the Celts, the formal is 'Celts'. Which is more accurate, We have invaded 'Celts' or We have invaded 'the Celts'?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

hmm. I never noticed that before. Assuming that changing them wouldn't mess up something else I think you're right and they should be changed.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I agree. keeping it as Ottomans just makes me think about furniture. OTOH, in my games, if I'm not the Otts, they can hardly be called an empire. I can't leave them for long with that kick ass unit of theirs.

Comment

In the histories I keep of my games, I've taken to calling the Ottoman lands "Turkey". Yes, I know it's not entirely accurate, but it's less typing than "the Ottoman Empire" (which, btw, I do use sometimes, pretty much interchangeably). Celtland never has had the same ring, but the best I've come up with is Gaul. Again, not entirely accurate, but it gets the job done.
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You can say the same for others as well. The Roman Empire, The Aztec Empire, etc... Merely semantics.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I never really thought about the aztecs. But you can just call it Rome.

The problem with calling it Gaul is there is the Gaul tribe of barbarians. I think I'll just call them the Celts.

What would you guys do about the Aztecs? Just call them 'the Aztecs'?

I don't think they're just semantics, I think it is important.

Calling it Turkey would be accurate, they sometimes referred to the Ottoman Empire as Turkey even before it was Turkey.

And BTW, why isn't the Ottoman UU the janissary?
            "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

I will also call the Iroquois 'the Iroquois Nation'.

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
                I will also call the Iroquois 'the Iroquois Nation'.
                I was going to include that in my example to! "We have planted a spy in Iroquois" is right up there with "Ottomans". The only real difference with Rome is that it is an actual city. If their was a city named Ottoman or Iroquois it would make more sense. Just name your capital Ottomans and your all set.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

How about calling the formal 'the Celtic lands'? It makes more sense than any other name and is more accurate than Celtland. We have planted a spy in the Celtic lands. We have invaded the Celtic lands. Doesn't sound great, but it's the best we've got.

Comment

Well the Aztec country, can be called “Aztlan.” That’s what I do.

The Ottoman’s home, I call, “Türkiye.”

The Celtic nation, I name “Gaul”

The Iroquois actually call themselves the “Haudenosaunee” meaning "people of the long house." The Iroqu name is actually an insult, meaning “rattlesnakes.” As for their country, it could be “The League”, or “The League of Five Nations”, or “The League of Six Nations.”

Does anybody know what the Romans, called themselves in LATIN???
                    "The Pershing Gulf War began when Satan Husane invaided Kiwi and Sandy Arabia. This was an act of premedication."
                    Read the Story ofLa Grande Nation , Sieg oder Tod and others, in the Stories Forum

Comment

I beleive the latin name for Romans would be Romani. Though I may be wrong, I took Latin II more than a year ago.
                      For your photo needs:
                      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

What really pisses me off more than the inaccurate names of the countries is the mispellings of some city names. (For the Ottomans, it's "Edirne", not "Edrine"). Civ always gives the old Greek spellings for some cities, but not for all in the Ottomans. It calls Antakya (Turkish) as "Antioch"(Greek), but it doesn't call Kayseri (Turkish) as "Caesaria". I think they should fix this (switch all either into Turkish or Greek) to prevent the transliterative discrepency.
                        for SMciv4

Comment

The really wierd one is "Mongols". Why not simply "Mongolia"?

I made a mod that had "Mongolia", "Celtia", "Turkey", "The Iroquois League", "The Aztec Empire".

"Aztlan" isn't good in my opinion - it's the Aztecs (supposed) original homeland, not their later empire. "Mexico" would be another alternative, refering, of course, not to the modern republic, but to the Valley of Mexico, which was the core of the Aztecs' empire.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                          X