Sorry, another dumb PTW question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, another dumb PTW question

No matter how much I set the tech slider to it doesn't change how fast I research the tech? It always takes 40 turns. It has caused me to fall about 4 techs behind and I'm in the pretty early ancient. Thanks for the help.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Chances are, especially in the early ancient, you don't have enough commerce going yet to get under the 40 turn barrier. It's not that uncommon, and I usually research at least 2 ancient era techs at 40 turns and count on trading, extortion and huts for the rest.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

In the very begining you will not gain much by cranking up the slider. In a typical Emperor game, you will need to get some production to have an impact on it. Just keep an eye on your empire and you will be able to move it off of 20% and see an impact.
      I tend to stay there until I have a few contacts and trade some tech and maybe hit a hut or two.
      Then I look to see if it makes sense to move the slider.

Comment

The game is cutting you a break by letting you only wait 40 turns for the tech. You weren't earning that much. Build more roads.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Watch for your capitol's first expansion... you should be able to pull back to 10% then. With additional towns (and commerce!! Mmmm... rivers), you will start to be able to increase research % to good effect.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
            The game is cutting you a break by letting you only wait 40 turns for the tech. You weren't earning that much. Build more roads.

Either build roads and/ or build your next city on a river, or near a commercial resource (Gold, Gems, Silk ect)
            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Re: Sorry, another dumb PTW question

Originally posted by johncmcleod
              No matter how much I set the tech slider to it doesn't change how fast I research the tech? It always takes 40 turns. It has caused me to fall about 4 techs behind and I'm in the pretty early ancient. Thanks for the help.
              hi ,

if you where to post a save some of us could start to help you it in a more detailed way , .....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I have another PTW question. I played one game with only 7 civs, and I want to play a game with 24 now. But there are only 7 pull down menus for the rivals, and I don't know how to get more.

I guess you guys are right, after I expand for a while I can crank up the tech slider.
                "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

I think you need to go into the editor and uses custom rules. Then set the world size and then the number of civs. I have not tried it.

Comment

vmxa1 is right. you can change the numbers in the editor to however many civs you want, up to 31. though to get beyond 24, you'll have to download or create your own additional civs. Try playing a tiny map with 24 civs. Its quite....interesting.

Comment

I have another PTW question. I played one game with only 7 civs, and I want to play a game with 24 now. But there are only 7 pull down menus for the rivals, and I don't know how to get more.
                      Some of the smaller maps will only allow you to have so many civs. Either try a larger one or go into the editor and ajust the settings, in the World Sizes area I believe. I don't have the editor handy at the moment.

I guess you guys are right, after I expand for a while I can crank up the tech slider.
                      That's right, you won't be able to devote to much of your treasury to Research until you're well into the Middle Ages at least.

Comment

Didn't work. I went to custom player data in the editor and changed the number of civs from 8 to 24. I chose a standard map and it only had me and 7 other civs. So I went to a huge map and it was me and 15 other civs. Then I tried multiplayer and again it was me and 7 other civs. This is very frusturating, please help.

Comment

Didn't work. I went to custom player data in the editor and changed the number of civs from 8 to 24. I chose a standard map and it only had me and 7 other civs. So I went to a huge map and it was me and 15 other civs. Then I tried multiplayer and again it was me and 7 other civs. This is very frusturating, please help.
                          hi ,

MP ( multiplayer ) is limited to eight (8) players only , ....

first there where 16 civs , ptw gave 8 more , ......

if you have ptw ;
                          single versus AI is limited to 32 , minus the barbs leaves 31 , .....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I have PTW, so should I set the amount of civs to 32?

Comment

I have PTW, so should I set the amount of civs to 32?
                              hi ,

the max you can set it on is 31 civs , the barbarians take up one slot , .....

set the max for 24 if you have PTW , the other 7 you have to make either yourself or use a mod or scen to play those , ....

the apolyton directory has great mods and scens by the way , ....

max map size with ptw is 362X362

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                              X