Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New traits! What will Seafaring and Agricultural do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New traits! What will Seafaring and Agricultural do?

As you may have noticed in the GameSpot Conquests review, there will be an overhaul of the Civ traits in Conquests, including two brand new traits: Agricultural and Seafaring.

This will remove some of the awkwardness from some civs, like England, who were not "Expansionist" in the Civ3 sense (free Scout that roams the land looking for riches), but rather in the naval "Seafaring" sense. The Agricultural trait also fits perfectly with some of the new civs, like the Sumerians and the Incans, and may be given to exisiting Civs as well (the Japanese?).

Now, any guesses on what abilities these new traits will confer on their respective Civs? Here are some ideas to get the discussion going:

Agricultural

1. Half-price Granaries; too strong.
    2. Irrigation provides +1 Food; could break the "Mine everything" reflex.
    3. Irrigation does not require fresh water; boring.
    4. City centers produce +1 Food at sizes 1-6, +2 Food at sizes 7-12 and +3 Food at sizes 13+; interesting.
    5. 2/3-price Granaries; still very strong.
    6. Units travel through Irrigation as Roads; weird.
    7. Food Box size reduced; needs to be carefully balanced.

The problem with most of these is that they have to do with Food, which makes sense, but Food is so critical to the early-game that any ability that affects it has the tendency to be overpowered.

Seafaring

1. +1 Move to naval units per Age (for example, +3 Move in the Industrial Age); undermines the Great Lighthouse.
    2. Naval trade does not require Harbors; not that good.
    3. Naval trade restrictions reduced (trade via Coast and Sea tiles at Map Making, via Ocean at Astronomy); putting 2 and 3 together makes sense.
    4. Ships heal at sea (no need to return to a Harbor); again, not powerful enough.
    5. Half-cost ships; sounds overpowered, but I like it.
    6. Coastal cities get a Harbor for free; not sure what to think about this one...
    7. Ships do not require upkeep; not going to happen, but I'm running out of ideas.

Pretty tough to come up with abilities here, as they have to be powerful enough to make the trait worth considering, and yet naval endeavours are not a big part of Civ3.

Any of these sound good to you? Other ideas?

Dominae
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

I think those are all good suggestions Dom, although I would disagree that 1/2 price granaries would be too powerful (but then, what do I know. I haven't mastered the art of early-game citizen-slaughtering, myself).

What I really want to know is, are some civs going to get re-assigned traits? Now would be an ideal time... (for example, Militaristic and Seafaring Vikings...)

And, this is off-topic, but I must kvetch: I heard that the Portugese and Dutch will both be "normal" civs as add ons. Why, oh why? Aren't there enough @#*(& Europeans?!?
    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
      I think those are all good suggestions Dom, although I would disagree that 1/2 price granaries would be too powerful (but then, what do I know. I haven't mastered the art of early-game citizen-slaughtering, myself).
      Half-price Granaries would rival for Industrious for sheer power, IMO. Agricultural/Industrious would be the best combination, hands down. I hope they do not create something this unbalancing. The other problem is that they would have to teach the AI to use Granaries effectively, or this traits would be lost on it.

What I really want to know is, are some civs going to get re-assigned traits? Now would be an ideal time... (for example, Militaristic and Seafaring Vikings...)
      From the preview, this seems to be the case.

Dominae

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
        Half-price Granaries would rival for Industrious for sheer power, IMO. Agricultural/Industrious would be the best combination, hands down. I hope they do not create something this unbalancing. The other problem is that they would have to teach the AI to use Granaries effectively, or this traits would be lost on it.
        I suppose you're right.

Another thought is the ability to irrigate anything, including hills, even mountains!

Hopefully it'll be something akin to an idea I've had for a while (but don't have the code-writing skills for): some civs get terrain bonuses that others don't... of course, I was thinking Aztecs would get more food or production from a jungle, nothing about plains or grassland being more productive...

...who knows? Maybe they'll change industrious so that mining is quicker for Ind. civs but irrigating ISN'T! How diabolical would that be?

Comment

Agricultural would definitely suggest irrigation bonuses, I think. As for irrigating most everything, I suspect that this is only for the Mesoamerica scenario, which includes Terrace Farming.

The Sumerians appear to be a useless civ, as might have been suspected. They are, for instance, the same bunch as the Babylonians. They appear to be...horror of horrors...expansionist! Yes, in that screenie in which they appear, they have not just Enkidu Warriors (2/2/1? Bowmen?! Maybe there is something redeeming, but I can't see it...), but Scouts! Hopefully, this is only for that scenario. Otherwise, the word "innovative" used in their regard suggests that they are scientific. Perhaps they are religious, as they are building 'Burial Mounds' early on, which appears to be from Ceremonial Burial. I suspect, though, that the Sumerians and the Babylonians, in every way, will have very little difference. They are useless!

Seafaring? The English, the Vikings, the Carthaginians...
          Empire growing,
          Pleasures flowing,
          Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Oh lord. If the Sumerians are one of the "normal" civs (and we could all be proved wrong, they might be scenario-only) and are expanionist, I will finally break my civ3 CDs like all my friends are always urging me to do.

Then again, let's remember that Babylon itself was only a city-state, albeit a powerful one with control of some other cities, and it emerged late in the Mesopatamian "game" as it were... perhaps Babylon itself could be replaced by Sumer! Heresy, I know. But it wouldn't be the end of the world...

Comment

The Enkidu Warrior coud have that new "Stealth Strike" ability that allows it to target any unit in a stack. For 30 Shields it would be a pretty cool unit.

But, let's not threadjack, and stick to the traits here...

Dominae

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae

But, let's not threadjack, and stick to the traits here...

Dominae
                You're right. I quite apologize.

Anyone want to take bets on who's agricultural and who's seafaring?

As I still have no clue who's in and who's not, I'd like to suggesting the following revisions... not gonna happen most likely, but who knows?

Persia - Agricultural, Religious
                Reason: birthplace of Mazdaism, one of the first (and still going) monotheistic faiths. Once sustained a MASSIVE population (largest in the world before the Mongol invasion), still substantial today despite the arid landscape.

China - Agricultural, Industrious
                Reason: I'd love to see Scientific in there too, but only 2 traits per civ.

Carthage - Seafaring, Commercial
                Reason: Industrious? This has always bothered me. What did the Carthaginians do that qualifies them to be industrious? Maybe I'm just an ignorant noob.

English - Seafaring, Commercial
                Reason: The sun never sets on the British empire. Expansionist is appropriate, of course. But I'd love to see those Men O'War be more relevant.

Vikings - Seafaring, Militaristic
                Reason: C'mon!

Korea - Agricultural OR Seafaring, Commercial
                Reason: Gameplay balance. Why is Korea always so damn strong, in terms of tech, culture and trade? Korea throughout history never had this sort of power... not that I've got anything against Korea per se...

Celts - Expanionist, Militaritic
                Reason: Ok, I know this seems insane. But I think religious gives these guys too much of an edge. I'm a history nut, and I always get chagrined when the Celts have made it to the modern age, with an impressive empire and gigantic history...

India - Agricultural, religious
                Reason: India's current traits are perfectly fine, but I think this might be even better (accuracy wise).

Ottomans - Militaristic, Commercial
                Reason: Seems out of left field? Well, I don't know of the Scientific achievements of the Ottomans off-hand, but I do know of their ability to sustain a large, ethnically diverse empire for a long time, and of their impressive military history. Of course, perhaps an even better trait combo would be Militaritic and Industrious, in place of China.

I can't think of more I'd like to speculate about. I doubt serious revisions will be made to the game, so perhaps this post is a bit lame. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

You're right about Ottomans...and Sumerians (who are by the way a normal civ, because they do have their own leaderhead, unlike scenario leaders).

I think India certainly needs to be Agricultural. China, however, is harder to pin down. They could easily be any of the traits, really, except Seafaring (despite Cheng-Ho and the very brief period of naval dominance in the Ming period).
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,
                  Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

I think India certainly needs to be Agricultural. China, however, is harder to pin down. They could easily be any of the traits, really, except Seafaring (despite Cheng-Ho and the very brief period of naval dominance in the Ming period).
                    Three cheers for knowing about this period of history!

Originally posted by History Guy
                    You're right about Ottomans...and Sumerians (who are by the way a normal civ, because they do have their own leaderhead, unlike scenario leaders).
                    I don't know... I think the verdict is still out on leaderheads. I would not be surprised if all the scenarios get their own leaderheads... in fact, I'd be a little dissappointed if they didn't. Certainly Atari can pay some yos to prepare the leaderheads.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if early October arrives and Atari says "Surprise! Here's the real civs and leaderheads!" Imagine the excitement that would generate.

Comment

I am betting that agriculture provides a bonus to the city (as in #4 by Dominae above) along with the ability to irrigate hills and mountains.

Naval - +1 movement (or +1 per age... but I doubt it will be like that), along with one less restriciton on travel. For example, can safely travel coast and sea at the beginning, adn ocean with only astronomy. This would have the appropriate early trade opportunities also.
                      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Another interesting option for Seafaring is a sort of naval scout unit. The "canoe" perhaps? Of course, seafaring civs would have to start near the sea... which would be most appropriate, don't you think?

The "vessel" would be 0/0/2, or maybe 0/0/3, with no cargo capacity, or at the most 1 cargo capacity. It's an intriguing concept, in my opinion, and would accurately represent the earliest encounters of mankind... the Pelagasians setting sea to Crete, the Phoenicians spreading commerce, the early Polynesian settlement of New Guinea, etc.

In fact, this is something I'd like to design for a mod if they don't include it.

If this sounds too absurd, remember that humans had reached Australia and the outlying islands of the South Pacific 20,000 years ago, without the help of land bridges of any kind.

Comment

IMHO the seafaring trait needs to allow;

early voyages of discovery, all ships can travel safely in sea tiles - gain is trade value of maps and communications

early trade- trade across sea tiles with mapmaking gives early access to resources and luxuries

Also interesting would be:

All ships are vetrans, or have extra move

Agricultutral, obviously has to be about more food
                          smaller food box
                          cheap granaries
                          cheap irrigation
                          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
                            early voyages of discovery, all ships can travel safely in sea tiles - gain is trade value of maps and communications
                            That is hugely powerful. It's like saying "Starts the game with the Great Lighthouse".

I can't see that one happening. +1 movement per age and half-price harbours sounds far more likely IMHO.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I really would like to see the "naval scout". I think it should be unable to carry units; early settlement or military harrassment is just too powerful. But early contact is not - and if used correctly, would play tremendously. Moreso than popping goody huts, I think the chief advantage of scouting is making contact with the other civs before anyone else does. This would be the advantage of the naval scout, in addition to getting a sense of the map that few others would.

Comment

Working...
                              X