Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

Civ3 was built off the SMAC engine, and was probably a code re-write. If so.....Why does it suck SOO much? It was built off one of the greatest games in history....

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

JJJeeesh, won't this noobs ever learn how to make threads...

Why make two, one isn't enough for you??

SMAC
    CIV3
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

If Tassadar is based on Adam and Eve, now why is he such a mor(m)onic troll?

Comment

Actualy It is NOT

Brian Reynolds was the Brains behind SMAC (so it should be called "Brian Reynolds Alpha Centauri" as that Sid guy had way less influence). Reynolds was not involved in the develpoment of CIV 3 most likly because he was starting his own company and working on Rise of Nations (vindications of is so sweet is it not?)
        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

SMAC was a good game granted but like Impaler said its had little to do with civ3.
          Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
          So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
          rocking on everest

Comment

0.00000001/10. You can do better than this, Tass.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Just now getting to this? The game is out for how long now?
              Anyway I love SMAC, but finally got burnt out on it. I still play CivIII & PTW. That you do not care for is not to say it sucks.
              It seems to me to be rather infintile to come on to the board for the express purpose of saying you do not like the game 2 years after it came out. But, you have gotten your attention now so be happy.
              Oh and of course your opinion would have more value if you did not make statements that were so far off from the truth.
              SMAC is not the same engine or even the same lead designer.
              Last edited by vmxa1; July 7, 2003, 15:39.

Comment

Re: If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                Civ3 was built off the SMAC engine, and was probably a code re-write. If so.....Why does it suck SOO much? It was built off one of the greatest games in history....

hi ,

sjee , seen the sales , ....... more people have it then smac , .....

if it sucks so much , then why do you even play it , ......

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Re: If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

sjee , seen the sales , ....... more people have it then smac , .....

if it sucks so much , then why do you even play it , ......

have a nice day
                  Aah, but theres the great part about it. I DONT

Just trying to troll people. Nevermind me.

Actualy It is NOT
                  Then why do the earliest screenshots show that "drone riot" face, AND several text files show features only in SMAC? ;0

Comment

Re: Re: Re: If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

Aah, but theres the great part about it. I DONT

Just trying to troll people. Nevermind me.

Then why do the earliest screenshots show that "drone riot" face, AND several text files show features only in SMAC? ;0
                    hi ,

can you go trolling then please in a non game thread , ......

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Not only a troll, but not very bright either.
                      Firaxis owns both games and the art work that goes with them.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                        Not only a troll, but not very bright either.
                        Firaxis owns both games and the art work that goes with them.
                        Which makes the entire situation all that much more puzzling

Comment

I changed my mind, it isn't worth feed ing the trolls.
                          Last edited by WarpStorm; July 7, 2003, 22:33.
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Re: Re: Re: If Civ3 is based on SMAC, then why does it suck so much?

1. Graphics weren't complete until the very end of development. If you remember, in screenshots of September 2001, all the building-incons were identical.

2. Civ3's development started being based on SMAC's system, but the departure of Brian Reynolds and half of the team forced a hefty redesign (that's why the editor was so incomplete when Civ3 came out). There are a few remnants of the SMAC-like past of Civ3, but they're just that, remnants.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Code:
                                 /(          )\
                                ( \\_.----._// )
                                 \/.._    _..\/
                                 ( {e}'  '{e} )
                              _.-'\   (..)   /'-._
                                \  )        (  /
                                 \ \ A.__,A / /
                                  \ \.-..-./ /
                                ___\________/___
                               |                |