CivIII at 'poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konquest02
    I sincirely think that AU should have it's seperate web page, something like http://www.au.apolyton.net or the like. This does not kick AU out of the strategy forum, but it will sure bring coherence and visibility. With a nice layout and some dedicated people, I'm sure we could do something very good...
    That'll be one of my polls. Look for them all this weekend.

Comment

• Theseus,

You did a nice job summarizing all the suggestions, and there are a few that have been taken care of: it looks like the next AU course will be in the news!!! (crosses fingers). So how bout making a multiple select poll with the other suggestions and see what Civ III players think?

And I certainly hope a separate web page like Kon just resuggested and others have suggested get's made. I would volunteer, but unfortunately I don't have the time to make a big committment to AU and be able to do things in a timely manner (read: wife hates civ).

And just think, if the AU page get's made, we can get rid of the AU History 101 thread. It serves a great purpose now, but having our own page would create more room for introductions, course descriptions, etc. that would be too cumbersome to fit with the thread format. I considered adding descriptions of each scenario, but just having the links themselves takes up so much room, and I'm of the belief of the shorter the better in terms of having people actually read one's post.

bump
      badams

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud

forgive my ignorance, but just what excatly is AU? is it 'poly's 'Game of the month'
        Talk about no "presence!" Even our very own Apolyton Civ 3 Stories Editor doesn't know what AU is.

Let's get some advertising.
        badams

Comment

• Originally posted by Konquest02
          I sincirely think that AU should have it's seperate web page, something like http://www.au.apolyton.net or the like. This does not kick AU out of the strategy forum, but it will sure bring coherence and visibility. With a nice layout and some dedicated people, I'm sure we could do something very good...

--Kon--
          hi ,

, good idea , but www.apolyton.net/au/ might be loads better , .....

Dan

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Friendly bump before the polls start.

Comment

• Thanks for doing the polls, Rhoth!!
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Welcome.

Hopefully it will polarize the discussion into a clear heading for the Civ3 at 'Poly future. And generate even more ideas.

Comment

• Just got an interesting idea:

As part of the initiative to create games for newer players, how about a "beat the veteran" type of challenge. As the name implies, we would pick a Civ3/AU veteran (say, alexman or Theseus) who is to play the same game as all the "novices". The "novices" would then try and outperform the "veteran" (I'm using quotes because the names could use some improvement). The "veteran" would have the responsibility of providing detailed DARs of his or her entire game. This would put some competition in AU, but the good sort of competitiveness that is fun and encourages learning. Sort of like when NBA players play games against high school students. It's pretty cool to see the name players get faked out once in a while in basketball, and with AU there is an even greater possibilty that the "novice" could beat the "veteran". The only problem that is see is that we would need to identify the novices, as we would not want, say, Catt competing against nbarclay in this exercise, as they are more or less at an equal skill level (I think!).

Sound fun?

Dominae
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• Good idea!! How about we sorta combine with my idea of standard AU Intro course at different difficulty levels?
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

• Sounds good to me.

Dominae
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• Your avatar still freaks me out, btw.

Comment

• That's a great idea Dominae!

Comment

• Originally posted by vmxa1
                            I don't know what Vox is, but I think your are correct.
                            And that was your first mistake. Wait until we show up on your shores.

Theseus - right on!

Let me know if I can help in anyway.
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by panag

, good idea , but www.apolyton.net/au/ might be loads better , .....
                              yeah, whatever fits better... I may help (i.e. not in charge...) with the web page, but I'm a web designing newbie (i.e. I can fiddle around in Adobe GoLive and Photoshop, but I'm unbale to write ANY code...) If you want to see a spectrum of my web designing skills, go to
                              my (unfinished) homepage .

Dominae, your "challenge the expert" idea is just great. I think that 1 vs. 1 matchups are not the key though. I think 1 player should play a detailed game and all the novices would be able to take a shot at it.

--Kon--
                              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

• Thanks Rhothaerill for getting the polls going.
                                badams

Comment

Working...
                                X