Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok, I understand RoF, so what does fire power do then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, I understand RoF, so what does fire power do then?

I know rate of fire is how many shots a bombardment unit gets in its turn, ex 2 rof means it has a CHANCE of taking 2 hit points off. What is firepower then? is that a units chance of actually landing a shot? If so, what number is 100%? Id guess its 20? so a unit with a firepower of 10, rof of 2, would have 2 50% chances of landing a hit?

Nope, firepower is the equivalent of attack value (but it is heavily modified in cities).
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

oh... ok so, a bombard unit with 4 bombard would have a very high chance of success vs something with 1 defence, but vertualy no chance of doing damage to something with 18 dfence?

Comment

You got it, but again, the first modifiers are the same as normal combat (i.e., terrain defense bonuses, and then the rest), and then city bonuses.

Thus, bombard units can be TREMENDOUSLY effective on units in the open, but very very frustrating when attacking towns / cities.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Vetterox:

Firepower was in CIV 2. They have eliminated the concept in civ 3. ROF only applies to bombarment units. All other units use the combat system which compares Offensive and defensive ratings with modifications for terrain and defensive improvements. Using these modified values the 2 units in question fight. The values are then compared and a random number is added to each defensive and offensive values. The unit with the higher # wins the combat round and the loser is reduced by 1 HP. The units continue fighting rounds until one runs out of HP's and is eliminated.
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
          X