Hmmmmm Weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmmm Weird

Ok, the wierdest thing happened to me tonight as i was playing Civ3.

Let me tell u a story:

Background: Well i'm playing on a huge world map (a downloaded one from these forums) with 16 civs on warlord. Ok i'm doing relatively well in it, being in 3rd place just behind the Iroqious and China who are in 1st and 2nd respectively. From around the medieval ages through to now (half way through the modern ages) i've been trailing in research and have been mostly buying techs from civs that have them, mainly the top two, France and Egypt also. Now usually they ask for outrageous prices but i agree because i need the techs and want to keep up.

Ok, on to the main story: The weird thing is that i called on the diplomatic phone to France and placed about 3 modern age techs on the table and accidently (honest it was) hit the "Accept this or pay the consequences" button. Obviously they told me politely to shove it. Ok, fair enough i would too, but then i go and ask them what they would want for the techs and instead of doing the norm and wanting over a 1000gpt and about 1000 gold they just want my world map???? I just sit and stare at the portrait of Joan thinking she must have gone mad. I accept that deal and then phone China. With China i ask for a couple of techs and ask what they want for it, once again the reply i get is just my world map

By now i'm slightly puzzled. What makes a couple of the strongest nations in the world start throwing techs at me just because i accidently threaten one?

Also my neighbours to the north (the Iroqious) who i have had a MMP with for countless centuries calls me up and kindly ends it while Zululand who has never been very friendly calls up and offers a MMP??? Is it me or has this whole world of mine been turned upside just because i threatened France. It seems as it has. It is quite strange, totally against the norm.

So, any theories/comments ladies and gentlemen. Is this just a mystery of the world? Or alternatively have they just realised who their master is?

I don't think it was due to your threats.
    Might be a bug....or something else...
    Maybe, you had some very valuable information on your worldmap.
    And ever after, sun shone upon the land of Sunshinia...

Comment

It is hard to know with the data we have, but if they have not been able to "see" your lands, then they are very anxious to have that knowledge.

Comment

Why would they want a world map? They can see everything alread
        cIV list: cheats
        Now watch this drive!

Comment

They can not see everything. they know about dispositions of units and resources. That is not the same thing.
          They do not know if there is any open tiles in your empire, unless they travel thee or get a map.

Comment

My mistake. I had always thought that the AI knew the map, with units AND cities.
            cIV list: cheats
            Now watch this drive!

Comment

I'm thinking it might be a bug or something in that line of explanation. I really don't think my world map is that important at all, even though i am in the process of exploring Antartica and settling Australia, so maybe they want to know about a barren ice wasteland and, well Australia .

I have got a save from just before it happened and one from just after and one from a couple of turns before (through the autosave), so i might have a look at those and see what, if any, differences there are between them. I'll post back in a wee while to say what the results are. If u want saves so all you readers out there can have a look, feel free to ask for them and I'll figure out how to post them.

Cheers for your thoughts so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                My mistake. I had always thought that the AI knew the map, with units AND cities.
                hi ,

the AI knows the location of each city , .....

and if you send a settler to a spot on the map you shall see often that the AI tries to beat you to it , .....

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Ok I've done a wee bit of testing to see whether its a one of or not thing. Well it was. I reloaded from just before the time when i got the really weird deal and tried the same tactic (ie threatening France) and well they still wanted some 1000 gold and 1000gpt so yeah it seems as if everything is back to normal now. Must of been a minor glitch that happened, I knew my world map was not worth that much. Damn it looks like I'm back to being behind in tech again.

and if you send a settler to a spot on the map you shall see often that the AI tries to beat you to it
                  I don't agree with this really. In my current game I alone discovered Australia and it wasn't until I decided to trade my world map, after i had planted a few cities, before another nation landed a settler and built a city there. However maybe i have misunderstood what you where meaning panag in which case feel free to clear it up for me.

Attached is a save of the current game before I've done any trading. Could some of you have a look and tell my why I'm behind so far in tech while playing on Warlord. Any comments welcome.

Comment

First, on Ai's and maps, I've kind of gotten the feeling just from playing that the AI knows what's on the map, but is held back from acting on that knowledge until it "officially" discovers the landmass, then everything's fair game. For instance, if you can keep a small island off all the AI maps, it's yours to settle at your leisure (though keeping it off their maps indefinitely is very tough). However, if you have a border hole deep in your territory, even though they don't officially have that area on their maps, they'll try to settle it if they know your landmass exists. However, let your culture expand enough to cover the hole and, even though they still aren't supposed to know what's on those tiles, they'll stop trying to settle it.

Second, on your save file, I'd love to take a look, but the extension is .rar, and even renaming it .sav gives a "not a valid .sav file" message.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

.rar is a winrar compressed file.

get winrar.
                      AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                      Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                      Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

I'll post a .sav file for you people without winrar.

Comment

Gracias. I knew if I stumbled around here long enough I'd start learning things outside of the game, too.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I had exactly the same experience.

Playing on a huge map but on regent level.

Due to that kindness I won the game faster than without AI-kindness.

Comment

Working...
                            X