No announcement yet.

War Preparations (little long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell that you are American and that you are modern warfare. First off, Americans give their units boring names (no offense or anything, I'm just stating a fact ). It's the 3rd Marines and the 5th Armor. The British (and Canadians, Australians, etc.) give their units cool names. One of the infantry units that landed at Juno beach was the 'Royal Winnipeg Rifles'. Another one was the 'Nova Scotia Highlanders Regiment'. The British units were like 'East Yorkshire Regiment' and stuff like that. And American units (the practice stopped after the civil war when units weren't made of guys from one city) were named after where they were made, such as the 116th Massachusetts Regiment or the Rhode Island Volunteers. It's way more interesting than just plain Jane 1st Infantry. Just a suggestion for someone into naming things.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Try to capture the screen with Irfanview and then resize it. I use that and have no distortion.

Comment

BTW, on your screen it said the government was a confederacy. Just to be overly picky in civ3 it's impossible to have anything like that. You're (a centralized government) in total control, which is the opposite of a confederacy. It doesn't matter at all, but I just love to correct people.
        "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
          As to the freak part, I can not say anything. I once spend 5 hours mapping out all the moves I need to get all of my fleet (scattered all over) to a choke point to launch an assault in Ascendancy.
          Well it was only the second PC game I had every play and I did not know the AI was helpless at the time.
          Wow. You still play Ascendancy? I can't even find the disk anymore. Great game with bad press.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
            I can tell that you are American and that you are modern warfare. First off, Americans give their units boring names (no offense or anything, I'm just stating a fact ). It's the 3rd Marines and the 5th Armor. The British (and Canadians, Australians, etc.) give their units cool names. One of the infantry units that landed at Juno beach was the 'Royal Winnipeg Rifles'. Another one was the 'Nova Scotia Highlanders Regiment'. The British units were like 'East Yorkshire Regiment' and stuff like that. And American units (the practice stopped after the civil war when units weren't made of guys from one city) were named after where they were made, such as the 116th Massachusetts Regiment or the Rhode Island Volunteers. It's way more interesting than just plain Jane 1st Infantry. Just a suggestion for someone into naming things.
            No offense taken. When you have so many units and and for a short duration (like in WWII) numbering them is convenient and logical. Our elite units (82nd AirBorne, 11th Mountain Div., etc.) may still be numbered but develop character with time.
            In contrast, one of my favorite English units, the Coldstream Guards, has a long history and tradition.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Not to thread jack or anything, but Yes I get in a game once or twice a year. It plays on XP and Win98 with sound.
              I got a replacement form Ebay with the guide, even though the guide is lame.
              It had the best sound effects at the time and grahpics were good. Too much micromanagement and the AI was very poor. Still I enjoyed it.

Comment

And American units (the practice stopped after the civil war when units weren't made of guys from one city) were named after where they were made, such as the 116th Massachusetts Regiment or the Rhode Island Volunteers. It's way more interesting than just plain Jane 1st Infantry. Just a suggestion for someone into naming things.
                You don't have to tell me, my great-great grandfather was part of the 37th Alabama Infantry. However, for these purposes, I don't care where they're created (wind up with all my Inf units from a handful of cities). No offense taken, I just like the logical order and adaptability of my system, and add the "color" once a unit produces a leader. Before then, they don't DESERVE more creative names!

BTW, on your screen it said the government was a confederacy
                Slight misread on your part, and too little explanation on my part. I'm playing a modded game, with a Southern civ I created (UU- Raider, Cavalry with 4 move, probably going to change it to 5 attack to balance). I've been referring to my empire as the Confederacy since Despotism, but definitely understand the distinction.

Try to capture the screen with Irfanview and then resize it. I use that and have no distortion.
                I tried that, with the undistorted bitmap as my capture, then pasting into I-View and still got distortion. To do it from the game loses all my markings, but I'll probably do one just for reference purposes from the game and see if it works. Okay, tried it with a capture from the game and got a whacked out coloring when I pasted. Maybe I need a tutorial on IrfanView screenshots. (Btw, when I resized that one, I still had the distortion).

11th Mountain Div.
                Since we're in correction mode, I think you mean 10th Mountain .
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Sorry to hear that it did not work for you.
                  Here is a test running 1280x760 or what ever the values are and resized to 800 with Irfanview.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maybe you have some sort of mods that are behind the problem.

Comment

Two things that may contribute to it: I'm using Snoopy's tileset, and the area was under fog of war. Other than that, I haven't done any mods that should affect graphics. Of course, the tileset "should" translate better into IrfanView regardless.

Doing the same with a shot of "seen" territory and resizing in Irfan gave the shot below.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Post a save and I will try it.

Comment

Waoh ! An art gallery !
                          M. le Comte

Comment

Here you go...

And thanks for the help, vmxa.

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Sol...ners1545AD.SAV

Comment

Seem ok to me.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Of course I do not have any terrain mods, but ...
                                I see lots of post with different mods applied in the forum.
                                What is the OS, destop properties, video card and driver?
                                Are you running 32 bit true color?
                                KeepRes=
                                VideoMode=

Comment

Working...
                                X