Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Including tourism in future versions of Civ

Just an idea for an enhancement.

Civs could get commerce bonus for tourism. The greater number of civs you are at peace with, the greater tourism bonus you get..

Cities that qualify for Tourism bonus :

Any city with a Great Wonder.

Any city with cultural value > 10000.

Any coastal city with 1/3 city radius = jungle. To get the bonus, this city must build "Tourism Facilities" - a new city improvement.

Any island city in a tropical region (not sure how to determine that).

Comments?

A qualified city must be connected to other civs via the trade network for the bonus to take effect. This makes tourism bonus subject to Trade Embargos.

Airports in a qualified city produce enhance tourism bonus.

Comment

Great Wonders should be cumulative, something like the old caravan routes whose value increased based on the size of the two cities. Therefore, the more Wonders and tourist related improvements within the city the greater the Tourist Income.

You could even have Tourist related resources, like the Grand Canyon, Hot Springs, etc that would increase the value if in the city's radius. Maybe have a Resort improvement that required a tourist destination within the city to be built.

Oh, and bring back caravans.

Comment

I included some ideas on implementing tourism in a Civ3 mod in my "Mod Ideas" thread in the Civ3 Creation forum here.

Basically, what I suggested was to have "Tourist Accomadations" improvement require a bonus resource called a "Scenic Site". The "Tourist Accomadations" would generate gold and luxuries like the Market improvement to reflect the economic boost that tourism gives. It's not much, but it should work well using the Civ3 system.
        "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
        but when there has been naming
        we should also know when to stop.
        Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Maybe a resort could be built on a lake or on the coast x tiles away from the equator. Or you could have a ski resort which could be built if a snow capped mountain was in the city radius.

Also maybe you could build national parks. You could set the area when you create one, the bigger it is the more gold you get. The terrain could have influence on the gold, ie there's more life in jungles than desert so a national park with jungle produces more than desert. Anyway, within the radius of the national park there can be no cities (and if it's in the city radius those tiles can't be worked) and the only worker action available would be to build roads.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

A tourism small wonder that would allow cities with certain culturual values to generate extra commerce sounds good.

But I'm a bit iffy on actually building a new city improvement. Civ3's improvements tend to modify existing values. (add culture, research or commerce) or have some important function. We're not playing Sim City. Tourism facility for each city is too specific and seems like a useless improvement to have if its ownly use is to give you the added tourism bonus
            AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
            Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
            Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

I like the idea, but agree with dexters on the individual improvements. I'd like to see an either/or for a tourism bonus. Either the city has sufficient culture to attract tourism, or it has natural features that attract it (or, of course, it has neither and misses out). Whether it be snow-capped mountains, coastline, freshwater lake, inland sea, jungle (make cutting that jungle a little less of a no-brain decision) or even luxuries (Come See The Hadremetum Vineyards!), I'd like to see the terrain play a role in any tourism bonus. Maybe add a smaller, instant effect for wonder building. It's an intriguing idea, but I want it based more on what we're already doing, rather than just giving us something else to build.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

You could even have Tourist related resources, like the Grand Canyon, Hot Springs, etc that would increase the value if in the city's radius. Maybe have a Resort improvement that required a tourist destination within the city to be built.
                I like this idea. This is like Alpha Centauri where every generated map had areas that were "natural wonders". In AC, natural wonders provided a cache of concetrated resources. In Civ, natural wonders within a city radius could provide a tourism bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                  I like the idea, but agree with dexters on the individual improvements. I'd like to see an either/or for a tourism bonus. Either the city has sufficient culture to attract tourism, or it has natural features that attract it (or, of course, it has neither and misses out). Whether it be snow-capped mountains, coastline, freshwater lake, inland sea, jungle (make cutting that jungle a little less of a no-brain decision) or even luxuries (Come See The Hadremetum Vineyards!), I'd like to see the terrain play a role in any tourism bonus. Maybe add a smaller, instant effect for wonder building. It's an intriguing idea, but I want it based more on what we're already doing, rather than just giving us something else to build.
                  Something doesn't seem right about having a small wonder for Tourism. Doesn't a small wonder need to be associated with a significant event (Heroic Epic) or place (Wall Street)?

Perhaps Tourism should be an Ancient Era civ advance that allows building of a new city improvement - Tourism Facilities. Prerequisite: Currency. A Tourism City improvement is necessary because otherwise, how will an individual city have the infrastructure to maximize profit from its tourism?

After reading your post, I think my ideas about tourism cities being only in tropical regions was too restrictive. There should be a wide range of terrain types that will cause a tourism bonus.

If the city does not have a Wonder or exceptional terrain, tourism bonus should be tied completely to cultural value. If cultural value is > 10000 and tourism facilities have been built, then commerce bonus is given. Even if the city is in the middle of the desert or tundra.

In addition to Airports adding to tourism bonus, colliseum would add to tourism bonus.

There is an interesting link to history of Tourism here: link

Comment

I think you misread my post. Never did the idea of a tourism small wonder occur to me. I just meant building a wonder gives a small, but instant, boost to tourism.

Comment

I think adding a new output, "tourism" is out of the question. Too much coding.

The original suggestion was basically tourism that increases gpt income, and not a tourism bonus per se.
                      AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                      Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                      Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

this would definitely favor the French, which, as a fan of invading the French, cannot happen :|

j/k
                        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

I'm really being ambiguous in this thread, sorry. When I mentioned a boost to tourism, I meant it as a gpt bonus. I agree that not only is a separate tourism output too much coding, but it would be superfluous and counterintuitive. That being said, once you build, say, Shakespeare's, you should see an immediate jump in tourism revenue.

Comment

I like this idea. This is like Alpha Centauri where every generated map had areas that were "natural wonders". In AC, natural wonders provided a cache of concetrated resources. In Civ, natural wonders within a city radius could provide a tourism bonus.
                            I like the idea, but the problem with it is civs would fight each other for the natural wonders. When was the last time two nations fought each other for a tourist destination?
                            "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Working...
                            X