Shipping needs to be added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping needs to be added

Shipping is something that needs to be added is something to make trade more realistic. Maybe resources that you trade could be loaded up onto ships or something like that. The navy isn't nearly powerful as it should be in Civ3 mainly because in real life if you control the seas you control major trade routes. If you were at war, you could have a Battle of the Atlantic again-submarines all over the seas on the prowl for merchant ships.

What do you guys think?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

You can blockade shipping now. It's just very hard to accomplish. I would hate to see a step back towards micromanaging trade.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to micromanage trade either.
      AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
      Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
      Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Ahhh warpstorm, micromanaging trade. That sure does bring back fond memories of managing all your caravans in Civ2. Where the Camel was always the burden of beast, they are of course much cooler than Ass's.

As for shipping, don't know, but it would be nice if it would be represented somehow. So the control of the oceans would be more beneficial, but in order to be able to recreate the battle for the Atlantic you would have to go away from the concept of city self-sufficiency.

Comment

With the currentl build, the AI already has enough to deal with. Making it deal with say, managing transport units would open up a new field in exploits.

I prefer Firaxis deal with some of the ongoing issues with AI's defense of its territory.

Comment

CTP2 has a great trade system. Once you establish trade with another civilisation a trade path appears on the map with an icon of the good going back and forth between the cities. To interfere with trade you have to put a unit on the trade route and click 'pirate' or something like that. A very good feature of the game with no micromanaging.
            Formerly known as Masuro.
            The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Anatolia: but in real life ships would avoid getting in contact with those pirates, in CTP2 it's impossible

Comment

I prefer the good ol' camels. But then again, I am a sucker for micromanagement...

If you add the special recources to that concept.... could be fun....

Comment

Camels suck.

Comment

Camels Always Rulez!
                    bleh

Comment

I hate to be a partypooper, but they looked like llamas to me, even though that doesn't make historical sense. After all, weren't they gray and black? Maybe I havn't seen enough camels...

Comment

Camels and LLamas are cousins. Both related.

I think something can be added to make it more realistic and another option to a good game, but I don't like the old camel method of Civ2, nor the trade route that was so easy to pirate in CtP2. GalCiv has a nice way where you actually have to find and capture the trade ship, but I don't think it would work well for Civ3.
                        If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

I wish naval units could do something, as of now, they are just not very worthwhile.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Blockading should be made easier
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Yep. The ship AND its adjacent tiles should be considered blocked for trade. Thus, less ships would be needed to block a port. More realistic IMHO too...

Comment

Working...
                              X