Is AI Communism/Monarchy Efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is AI Communism/Monarchy Efficient?

Soren programmed the AI to switch to communism or monarchy (depending on which is available) when war drags on to combat war weariness.

From my experience, I find it to be inefficient. This tends to have the effect of hurting an advanced AI civ as its commerce and production is reduced.

Any thoughts?
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

It has long been an exploit to force the AI to switch to commie to hurt it. I must confess that I have not tracked it after PTW to see if it does better with it.
    IIRC this was a topic in AU.

Comment

The problem is that if war weariness goes on too long those are the only 2 choices left to you. The AI doesn't manage happiness as well as humans so it is forced into the change much sooner. I've been forced into these situations myself when I was stuck in wars that went on longer than I would have prefered.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I think the AI should be able to adjust its luxury slider above 10% to say at least 20% under extraordinary circumstances.

This would only be possible if a series of conditions are met. such as turns in war > 20 war wearniess > X

If the war is going on for too long, the leader AI will bump the lux slider up a notch.

This would keep them going in their governments longer.

The AI should also be able to quit while they are ahead. Too often, they don't want peace unless they are being beaten savagely. It's rare for me to see an AI execute a 5 - 10 turn war to capture some objective.

Comment

It is not easy to tweak an AI for a mature and complex product. What sounds sensible can become a real can of worm. It would take some massive testing to ensure nothing got broken. We have seen much of that in the past. This is why they are reluctant to tinker.
          Last edited by vmxa1; May 26, 2003, 02:06.

Comment

Well, there is the XP coming out. Perfect opportunity to tinker.

Especially with what appears to be new luxuries in the fray.

Comment

IIRC the AI does adjust the slider as far as WW is concerned.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

alva, can you go into more detail?

Up to how far does the AI adjust it? I've only seen, and Soren has confirmed they adjust it only up to 10% to prevent AI addiction to the neglect of luxury trading.

Comment

I know Alexman did some extensive testing on this subject, so there must be a thread about it in the strategy forum (Soren commented a couple of times in it too).
                  Like I said, my statement is IIRC
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I probably read it.

From my own observations in debug, 10% is as high as AI goes.

Comment

I think I've seen it as high as 20%, but I can't be sure. And I'm pretty sure that Soren indicated that the AI will only use the slider to combat WW - it won't use it for anything else.

Here's a screenshot from a debug game that shows the slider at 10% due to WW.

Catt
                      Attached Files

Comment

And, paradoxically to the thread title, here is another screenshot from a debug game in which the AI chose to make entertainers rather than switch government from democracy under crushing WW -- the city starved from size 9 down to size 4 before giving in and changing governments . . . problem is that it was Spain (religious) and could switch at will

Both screenshots from the Why, oh why does the poor AI . . . thread in the Strat Forum (probably the thread to which Alva was referring.

Catt
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                          And, paradoxically to the thread title, here is another screenshot from a debug game in which the AI chose to make entertainers rather than switch government from democracy under crushing WW -- the city starved from size 9 down to size 4 before giving in and changing governments . . . problem is that it was Spain (religious) and could switch at will

Both screenshots from the Why, oh why does the poor AI . . . thread in the Strat Forum (probably the thread to which Alva was referring.

Catt
                          hi ,

well if an AI civ can changes thanks to its traits without any penalty it should do so , ....

this is a sad thing , ....

lets hope it gets fixed in a patch

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

Catt
                            How do you get than unhappyness causes popup?

cheers

Comment

Right click on a unhappy citizen.
                              -
                              problem is that it was Spain (religious) and could switch at will

Even worse on deity, where the can all switch at will

Comment

Working...
                              X