Civ3: Conquests and PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3: Conquests and PBEM

I'm playing three games of PBEM using the 1.14 version of PTW and they won't be finished for at least another year. If I buy Civ3: Conquests and load it on my computer will it screw up my PBEM games because of version incompatibility? I realise no one can answer for sure because Conquests is not available but I welcome some speculation.
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

you can still run PtW when you've installes conquests like you still can run vanilla civ when you've installed PtW

cheers

Comment

It depends on several things. The biggest unknown is whether Info**** will go for different copy protection versions like PTW or whether they have learnt their lesson and will revert to a single version like Civ3.

My guess is that the initial release of Conquests will be equivalent to PTW 1.21f and a bit more (or whatever teh final patch for US PTW is). So if you have a euro PTW and buy Conquests you should hopefully be compatible for MP with those who have a US PTW or Conquests itself.

The difficulty in PBEM games is that everyone is stuck at the lowest common level, currently PTW 1.14f. A PBEM game including someone at that patch level, like me, restricts all the players to that patch level. Conquests isn't going to change that unless everyone buys it and we can migrate existing PBEM's across. So if someone doesn't buy the XP and can't patch to the latest PTW, a PBEM game will still require everyone else to be able to play PTW 1.14f.

So the short answer is that there will still be problems because not everyone will be at the latest version because not everyone will be willing to hand more cash over to Info****.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

as always "cash is king" cerberus

cheers

Comment

Working...
        X